Rookie 9mm question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
I've loaded a lot of calibers for a long number of years. I never got into the 9mm. Well I recently did. I vaguely remember hearing people complain about loading 9 because of XXXX.

Are there any peculiar pitfalls to watch out for with 9mm?

I've been loading for nearly 40 years. Standard handgun rounds, rifle rounds, wildcats you name it except 9mm. So is it really that much different?

Minor list of what I've loaded, 38/357/357maxi, 41, 44, 45lc, 45 acp 10mm, 223, 308, 30-30,-30-06, 7tcu, 7int r, 22 hornet, 270 ren, 270 rocket, 7-08, 375 super mag, 30 Merrill, etc.... (I told you I wasn't new to this)

Johnnu2

Hunter
Nope, not for me it's not (different that is). I bought my first 9mm handgun aprrox 2018 (?) and started reloading 9mm for the very first time. No magic that I found to reload. I do find that the small cases are a PIA to handle; but then again, I reload on an RCBS Jr. single stage press.... Also, I'm anal with a lot of time on my hands so I weigh each powder charge .... I use Titegroup BTW. Oh, yeah, I taper crimp.
Hope this helps,
J

Correct, it's just a matter of paying attention and using compatible components. My last 9mm loading excursion got into difficulties when using heavy/long bullets and cases that had internal construction that wasn't compatible with such long bullets. I like to use a powder that uses most of the available space in the case(AA#7 is my favorite).

mikld

Blackhawk
I reloaded quite a few revolver rounds before I got a 9mm (first 9mm was pre-web) and I just figgered it out by myself. The main thing I've found, and since seen many times on forums is crimping a semi-auto round. Bottom line, do not "crimp" a semi-auto round just use a taper crimp die to straighten out the case mouth flare. I normally seat bullet to book OAL, "deflare" only and check with the plunk test. If I don't get good plunk tests, I measure the entire cartridge, find out why it won't chamber and fix it (I do not use nor recommend a FCD). I don't even have to measure case mouths post crimp. This has worked for me for 4 different semi-auto calibers in 9 different pistols...

https://www.bing.com/search?q=plunk%20test&pc=cosp&ptag=G6C24N1390A308CE7CCFF&form=CONBNT&conlogo=CT3210127

gunzo

Hunter
The taper crimp is a biggie IMO for any auto that head spaces on the case mouth.

Otherwise, finding the OAL for each bullet style that the gun is happy with.

Dan in MI

Staff member
OK, still not seeing anything unique abut 9mm that doesn't hold true for 45, 38 super, 40, and 10mm.

Thanks for the input.

Sorry, not trying to sound snotty, just don't see anything new under the sun like I had heard.

gunzo

Hunter
IMO, you are correct Dan. It ain't Voodoo.

Quick pressure spikes due to the small case maybe. But if you load those others, it's just another headstamp. Rock on.

mikld

Blackhawk
OK, still not seeing anything unique abut 9mm that doesn't hold true for 45, 38 super, 40, and 10mm
You got it! I don't reload 38 Super but I'd guess 9mm is close....

Enigma

Hunter
The biggest concern for me when loading 9mm is maintaining adequate case neck tension on the bullet. With such a small case operating at relatively high pressure, even minor variations in OAL can have a significant effect on chamber pressure. If you experience bullet setback during feeding, expect problems. Beyond that and widely varying barrel groove diameters between different guns, nothing unique about the cartridge.