rock chucks & THE 327

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
A farmer friend called me a week ago & ask for some help, he told me he was over run with Rock Chucks again. Several years back I shot 199 chucks on his place, all with handguns. Most were taken with single shot handguns but I took quite a few with various revolvers. My best day back then was 41.

Today I had a G2 Contender with a 12" 221 Fireball barrel & a 2X7 Burris scope & my 8 shot 327 Blackhawk using 135 gr. Ferminator HP's with 13 grs. of H110. I prefer to use just revolvers but Rock Chucks have eyes like a Pronghorn Antelope & you just can't close the gap on most of them, so many of the shots are well beyond 100 yds & quite a few are well over 200 yds. I've taken them out as far as 500+ with various TC Encore single shots.

As soon as I approached the first lava reef I saw 4 Rock Chucks run, I quickly turned my 4 wheeler side ways & set up my portable shooting bench which is a piece of counter top set across the back of my 4 wheeler with my sand bags on top & a folding stool for a chair. Within 3-4 minutes the first Chuck peeked up over some lava & I send him to that giant barley field in the sky. Then another & another. Within 10 minutes I had 5 Chucks with the Fireball using 40 gr. Vmax's & 16.8 grs. of 4227. I had only shot this load at 50 yds but it was a doozy, most times staying under .2" for 3 shots, just one ragged hole.

After 30 minutes I looked to my right & there was a Chuck standing on a lava rock, partially hidden by some sagebrush, he was closer so I decided to try him with the 327. Its really hard to turn to the right when you're sitting on a stool, your back & rib muscles won't allow a right handed shooter to keep a steady sight picture & those of you who have seen me know I'm really muscled up, at least that's what I call it, my wife says its FAT!

Anyway, I missed him twice so I turned slowly so I'm facing him & get a good sight picture with my left eye (shooting right handed) & that Ferminator HP hits him dead center in the big middle & he pin wheels off the rock with a lovely sound drifting back to me that says "dead". This one I had to range because it was a pretty tough shot, I ranged the rock at 61 yds & I couldn't have hit him any better. A few minutes later I smoke another one with the 327, a real sneaky one that keeps playing peek a boo at about 30 yds. He finally peeked & I said boo & nailed him just under the head lights (eyes).

By then it was starting to get late & I could tell the FB was off just a little but without a spotter I couldn't tell just how much. I drove over where the farmer said he was seeing the most Chucks & I just about croaked, I spotted 38 Chucks in one small patch of barley, they were everywhere! I called one of my boys & told him to get some ammo loaded, it was on! I'll get zeroed nice & tight monday & then tuesday we will help this farmer save a whole lot of barley because he's got a problem just like he had a few years ago, tuesday we'll fix it. I ended up with 15 Chucks, 2 with the 327 & 13 with the 221 FB. The Ferminator bullet & the 327 go together like pie & ice cream but Rock Chucks hate it. If I had to venture a guess I'd say I spotted about 70-75 Rock Chucks in about 2 hours hunting, I'm pumped!

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
THAT'S what I'm talking about!
Them chucks may have THOUGHT they were safe, but they should have listened to the whispers of their departed elders. "Beware the terminal handgunner!"

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Yes sir I enjoyed that and looking forward to another adventure with "Sixxhot"!