Ring height

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BadMatrix

Single-Sixer
What ring height (picatinnay) is needed for this scope on a Ruger Gen2 American in .300BO?
DIAMONDBACK®TACTICAL 4-12X40
Code: VX-RS-DBK-10023-EE
MPN: DBK-10023
UPC: 875874008670

Since no one seems to know the correct height. Have you thought of these ideas. I do them.
I buy 2 heights that I know it must be one or the other, when not sure and sometimes return the wrong size. I sit the rings on the rifle and not putting a torx or screwdriver to any screws.
Last week I was matching up a scope with a new to me 48 years old rifle that didn't come with scope or rings. I used shims to get the scope high enough the clear the hammer and rear sight. Used a caliper that showed .3 would be the shortest. Rings listed the lows at .4. So it saved me ordering med. and lows.

BadMatrix

Single-Sixer

DBK-10023

I found this scope on Amazon. Same price. Then in the "people also bought section, they listed the vortex MEDIUM rings. Done.

Lots of shooters mount their scopes way too high. Then they have all sorts of problems caused by not having their eye aligned with the center of the scope. You should keep the scope as close to bore center as possible keeping in mind, the bolt has to clear the eyepiece. There may also be a point of interference between front bell and front of base on some applications.
Determine the distance from the outer diameter of the front lens scope's to center. Estimate where the front bell of the scope will be when mounted. Lay a straight edge on top of the bases and measure up the determined distance from that point on the barrel plus a wee bit for clearance. Find rings that accommodate this distance. It might be easier to draw this out on paper so you have a visual interpretation.

gunzo

Hunter
When there's a picatinny rail & a 40mm objective, even an adjustable objective, low rings will do in most brands with the exception of the original 2 screw Weavers.
Stacking coins on the rail & setting the scope on them is the easiest. Measure the thickness of the coin stack or know how thick each coin is & how many that's needed for the scope to clear. Then, the mfrs. list the heights of their rings.

When there's a picatinny rail & a 40mm objective, even an adjustable objective, low rings will do in most brands with the exception of the original 2 screw Weavers.
Stacking coins on the rail & setting the scope on them is the easiest. Measure the thickness of the coin stack or know how thick each coin is & how many that's needed for the scope to clear. Then, the mfrs. list the heights of their rings.
I like your using coins stacked to get the height. I will use that method next time.

Related topic - some folks might consider it a waste of money, but I will often pick up extra scope rings if I see them at an attractive price, on sale or clearance. I focus on brands/styles that I've used before & like, but it's also an opportunity to try something new or different if the price is right. Having extra rings "on the shelf" often lets me try several options if I'm mounting a new scope, or moving a scope from one firearm to another: more often than not, I have something that fits/works well. And on occasion, I've been able to offer rings to a friend who needs them.

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
:)