Rimfire ammo for Ruger Govt Model/Mk II Target

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rustymusket

Bearcat
I met a few friends at the range the other day for some rimfire target shooting. There was the usual distribution of Hi-Standards, Colt WoodsmenTargets, and Smith 41s, and one of the guys showed up with a Ruger Government Model/Mk II Target, which I understand is also called the "T678". I found it strange that he was shooting HV ammo, in the range of 1200-1250fps. When questioned about not using standard velocity ammo, he mentioned he had bought the pistol used, and didn't have a manual for it.
I have seen Smith 41 bolts damaged from HV ammo. Doesn't Ruger recommend standard velocity ammo for the Government Model?
When he shot some of my Eley ammo, he immediately noticed an improvement in his groups, but I'm concerned about potential damage to his pistol.
Anyone have any insight into this issue?
rustymusket

mike7mm08

Buckeye
The manual for the MKII online from Ruger states any standard or high velocity ammo is fine. The government Model is made no different as far the bolt goes than the standard models of the MKII. On a personal note I have a MKII government. It shoots CCI stingers better than anything. Lost count of how many rounds are down the barrel. No problems at all.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
My MKII Gov, has well in excess of 10k down the barrel, Mostly bulk ammo but also vastly large quantities of mini-mags, stingers, plus any other of all the "hot stuff" Other than a red dot it is 100% out of the box original. I even clean it once in awhile. It still shoots way better than I am capable of.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
All good advice above. The Ruger is built differently than the Hi-Standards, Colts & S&W 41's. BUT, just like all those guns, it can have a preference as to what it shoots the most accurately!
Remember, "Rugged Reliable Ruger Firearms, Made in America!"

rustymusket

Bearcat
Thanks, y'all! This information is truly appreciated.
My S&W41 prefers Eley and CCI Std. Vel. fodder, and after inventorying my rimfire stock, I found five boxes of CCI Velocitors and 15 boxes of Stingers. I will definitely be saving them for my 'new' buddy, as they were originally purchased for squirrel eradication in a nearby State forest stand of oaks. I haven't hunted the bushytails for at least 15 years, so they'll be given to someone who will appreciate them and is also a Viet Nam Vet.
rustymusket

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I also have a Ruger Mark II Government Model & a Smith & Wesson Model 41 with a 7-inch barrel. Ruger does NOT recommend that CCI Stingers, or any hyper velocity, .22 rimfire be used in the Ruger Mark pistols because of the increased "recoil impulse energy" that Stingers, at 1640 FPS, generate. I have a bolt stop pin from a Ruger Mark II MK512 Target that received a steady diet of CCI Stingers that I removed from the top of the mainspring housing assembly because it was bowed in the middle from the bolt slamming into it. While it was very easy to replace that pin, the elongated hole that pin now fits through in the receiver is not.

Both of my pistols do much better, accuracy wise and mechanically, when standard velocity ammunition is involved. Will both guns shoot hi-velocity .22 ammunition like CCI Mini-Mags, absolutely. The Ruger Government model will handle those rounds very well and the Model 41 will also, but I'd recommend a higher poundage rating for the recoil spring be used in the Model 41 if that's the plan. CCI Standard, Wolf Match Target, SK Standard Pistol, Eley or any of the other standard velocity .22 rimfire ammunition works great. Why beat up these nice pistols unnecessarily with "hyper velocity" ammunition when there's better stuff available, that also produces better accuracy?

rustymusket said:
I met a few friends at the range the other day for some rimfire target shooting. There was the usual distribution of Hi-Standards, Colt WoodsmenTargets, and Smith 41s, and one of the guys showed up with a Ruger Government Model/Mk II Target, which I understand is also called the "T678".

Hey Rusty,

A couple of points to clear things up a bit. "T678" is the designation for the Mark I target model with a 6 7/8" tapered target barrel. If your buddy's pistol had "Government" on the side then it would be a Government Target Model like the left picture that D A Wood provided. It would then be a MK678G if blue or a KMK678G if stainless.

HSG

Latest posts