Review: Cheap 1911 Compact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grayelky

Bearcat
I have sold the American Classic and the American Tactical. The American Classic generally had a nicer appearing finish, and is easier to sell. For lack of a more accurate description, I refer to it as "blued". I have also had the High Standard Crusader. All of them sell very well, and the feed back I get from the purchasers is all very positive. There are just enough differences to make it a little difficult to make an across the board comparison. One will have an adjustable trigger, the other will have a nicer finish, etc. The bottom line: They all 3 appear close enough to each other that they could have been made in the same factory. The quality of workmanship is high, and fit of parts is good. I have not had anyone come back complaining about any of the 3 brands. I have not had the Armscor (I don't think) in my shop, but from what I read hear, it is just like the ones I have had.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I have the Citadel Compact also. It is a great gun. Galco Summer Special when I were it around. The finish is mat color and begs for a better finish Keracote or Duracoat. It eats all kinds of ammo also. Put close to 1000 rds through her and only had one box of remanufactured ammo have FTF issues. that was solve by touching it with a crimp die just a bit. I did put Hogue grips on mine since the wood one don't look good to me. They are heavy so recoil is no more than a Std model. I still will get a SR1911 to go with her some day if I can ever see one. The trigger is crisp and is steel no plastic on this gun accept the bumper pad on the magazines.
If I found one for 299 as the other poster did, I would jump all over that.
I paid 500 which incl the Galco Holster and 2 mags.

JD1969

Bearcat
I have a RIA 1911 and I love it. The gun shoots great right out of the box, I am searching for a good gunsmith near me to set it up and I can't wait ot have that done. I own two Rugers and love them, but my "cheap" 1911 out shoots all my other guns. As said above, for a sub $500 1911 they are tough to beat.

Tellico

Buckeye
Here is my Citadel. I replaced the steel trigger with the long aluminum one adjustable for overtravel and replaced the plastic main spring housing, I also fitted a match bushing. Trigger is 3 1/4 #. I added an EGW firing pin retainer also, with original GI radius. Had one bad mag from factory. I bought this gun because my LGS ( largest in TN ) can't get RS1911. I don't think I need anything else now.
003.jpg

002640x480.jpg

25 yds-- first round from cold oiled barrel above the ten.

jcn1945

Bearcat
I bought 2 RIAs in 38 Super. They ran perfectly right out of the box with my reloads. They shoot well and I have no complaints except they are not "Made in the USA", so I bought a couple Kel Teks just to help set things straight with the USA.

My gun shop has not been able to get even one Ruger 1911 and I have no idea when they will.

Snobal

Bearcat
I ordered a Ruger SR1911 when I first heard about them.

While waiting for it to arrive, I purchased a 5" Citadel to play with and learn more about reloading for 1911's. That gun was so much fun, I also "adopted" a 3 1/2" Citadel. After shooting both guns a bit, I found the short one far more fun to shoot. 8)

However, the 3 1/2" Citadel had some problems --- which was great because I love to tinker.

Problem #1 was that it hit about 18" high at 25 yards. I found that front sights for my Redhawks and GP100's were close to the proper width and tall enough to work --- so I filed down one of the Ruger colored plastic sights and got it to fit. This exercise was for "practice," because I sure ain't no gunsmith.

Then I called the Ruger parts folks, ordering a steel front sight for a GP100, then when it arrived, I slowly filed the Ruger sight to fit the Citadel's front sight groove like I had learned to do with the plastic front sight.

Problem #2 was loose stock screws when were easy to fix with blue lock-tite.

Problem #3 was that the gun was chewing up fired cases. A bit of research lead me to believe the recoil spring was "weak." Brownells sent a new 22 lb spring and that problem was solved.

Problem #4 was an occasional FTF which was solved by polishing the throat and barrel.

So the SR1911 finally came and all I've done to it has been to "lock-tite" the stock screws and sight it in (it hit about 3" left at 25 yards).

So, after about 6 months of learning about 1911's.....

- I put 555 rounds through the 5" Citadel 1911 and traded it for a 5 1/2" .357 Redhawk that looked to be near new. The Redhawk with be my next "project" when i get bored with these 1911's. :D

- I now have shot 1,323 rounds through the 3 1/2" Citadel and am using it in our IDPA matches because it is so much fun to shoot. I have shot it in our local Bullseye matches but get higher scores with a tad more barrel. :wink:

- The new SR1911 now has fired 1,209 rounds and I'm using it for local Bullseye matches.

- The Citadel's both shot their best groups with round-nose, 230 grain bullets from an RCBS 45-230-RN mold, while my Ruger 1911 produces its best groups with bullets from an RCBS 45-201-SWC mold.

I have no idea how the guns would do with store-bought ammo as I have never fired anything but home-made, cast bullets through them. All three guns produce 25-yard, 10-shot groups, from sandbags that generally run 3" or less, center-to-center, with an occasional group into about 2".

JMHO - YRMV

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
I bought a Citadel Compact yesterday from Academy.Cleaned the gunk off of it and properly lubed it.Took it to the range today and put 150 rounds through it. The gun performed flawlessly with three different ammos,but I made a few goofs.Great 1911 for the price.A few mods in the planning stages for it.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I like the RIA's soo much so that I now own 3 of them. I also have 2 kimber 1911's. I went to my local gun shop and saw the first RIA in the display case with a price tag of $379.00 on it. I never even put my hands on it. I told the dealer I would take it he went into the storage room and returned with a nib one. I figured for that price it would be a pos but after I got it home and took it down and gave it a thurough cleaning and lubeing. I took it out and ran 100 rounds of cheap round ball ammo through it without a single malfunction then started shooting reloaded ammo without a hitch so I bought another full sized one and it was the same no malfunctions at all. I then had my dealer order me a compact model of the RIA it shoots just like the others great with no problems. Just like my kimbers do. I now have about the same money in my 3 RIA's as 1 new kimber cost. Are the RIA's as nice as a kimber no but at 1/3 the cost and so far just as reliable as the kimbers. They are a awesome gun for the money

revhigh

Hawkeye
Tellico said:
Here is my Citadel. I replaced the steel trigger with the long aluminum one adjustable for overtravel and replaced the plastic main spring housing, I also fitted a match bushing. Trigger is 3 1/4 #. I added an EGW firing pin retainer also, with original GI radius. Had one bad mag from factory. I bought this gun because my LGS ( largest in TN ) can't get RS1911. I don't think I need anything else now.
003.jpg

002640x480.jpg

25 yds-- first round from cold oiled barrel above the ten.

Very nice shooting Tellico ... better than I can do at 25 yards !

You got a good gun there !

I imagine you're using 200 grain LSWC's ... they punch a nice clean hole, don't they ? What powder and load are you using ?

REV

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Hey,
Still no holes in the rug?????????????????? :wink:
My RIA Tactical is accurate and eats anything.
Jim

GKC

Blackhawk
Tommy Kelly said:
Are the RIA's as nice as a kimber no but at 1/3 the cost and so far just as reliable as the kimbers.

I have owned (note past tense) three Kimbers, so I would hope that the RIAs were better! Just my opinion, but I don't think much of Kimber products...except maybe the Kim-Pro Tac-Mags, which seem to work well.

I have been thinking about getting an RIA compact, and after reading the good reviews here and on the 1911 forum, I may just have to do that. Recently, I have been focusing on only American-made 1911s, just my current preference, although in the past I have owned SA, SIG, DE, and Taurus 1911s.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I'm thinking of getting a compact, the RIA has a bull barrel from what I understand, the Citadel has Full Length Guide Rod.
Both guns are 3 1/2". Is there any preference to either type?
Jim

revhigh

Hawkeye
GKC said:
I don't think much of Kimber products...

I'm with you on that GKC ... I've never shot a kimber of any price that will compete with my $400 Springfield GI. I always say that kimber 1911's are like monster cable audio products ... all hype and slick packaging and very little measurable performance.

REV

luvs2hunt62

Blackhawk
I OWN still---5 of the Armscor products. They run like a 1911 ought to, with no problems whatever. My favoties re the 5" "Tactical", and the Match Longslide. Price is no indicator of quality.

revhigh

Hawkeye
luvs2hunt62 said:
Price is no indicator of quality.

Sometimes it is ... and sometimes it isn't ...

In the case of Armscor and kimber that's true .... but in opposite directions ....

REV