Removed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Are they Sig sights? Sig dovetail grooves are normally very tight and one way like CZ's are. Loctite really isn't a great option as it counts on a tight fit and the absence of air to set up. There are a few things you can do but I would need an answer on my first question and some point on how loose the sight is.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Take a centerpunch and small hammer and peen the bottom of the site about six or seven times along a centerline with the site held securely without maring it (wrapped) to raise it's interference and push/punch it in from the left. You can peen the site from above and on center later when a zero has been determined.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
This dipstick has a video that has good points but he comes up with some real silliness in his explanation. His command of the english language is also laughable.

...but like I said, he makes "good points". ....and he at least knows what direction to push the site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JqM8aO8eG0

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I had the same problem with my Inland M1 Carbine. Even though staked by the US Military many years ago, the staking came loose and the sight shifted loose. I tried epoxy, but that broke free.

Instead of re-staking it, I got some thin shim stock and put a thick enough shim in place to make it a very tight fit.

My dad did the same thing with the rear sight on my Winchester 1895. Dad actually used an old feeler gauge, found the right thickness and just cut it off.

Aqualung

anything to "occupy" some of the spacing ( gap) of the bottom (flat) of any dovetail and the bottom "flat" of the sight body itself......this pushes up against the dovetails slot ,front and back...this being said yes a thin shim can work but , if it shifts and moves as you are driving in the sight, it can AND WILL come out and show on the other side.......so as often noted, just a few divots with a punch and the slide sitting on a HARD , level surface, stake just a few holes, divots, punch marks, whatever you want to call them, its called "raising metal", just enough to "tighten" up the gap (looseness) and yes, if you take and move the sight off and on and off and on, you are going to loosen it up again,,,,,those punch marks do flatten off with going on and off...........no need to use Loctite or some such, as the first time you try and drift the sight, you break the integrety of the Loctites "bond".....and yes recoil can do that also............same goes for "pistol whipping" 8) :roll: :wink:

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
Not a good idea to center punch the night site as it may break the vial seal and let the glowie stuff (technical term) leak out. Cut a long thin strip of pop can wide enough to fit the width of the dovetail cut in the gun. Try to slide sight in about halfway with the strip of can centered in the slot and under the sight. An adult beverage can can also be used if so inclined. If it is too tight, file the bottom of the sight until you can push it in by hand half way with the shim underneath the sight. Once you get half way there, use a brass rod to LIGHTLY tap it in place. A wood or plastic dowel is better and not so hard on the sight. Once it is in place, use a sharp thin blade to score the metal strip and break off the excess.

Latest posts