Reloading .44 Magnums with the limited powders we have?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
SWEETWilliam
The hazmat fee to me ib NH was $19.99 +shipping another $9.00 bucks. That's even if I got two 8lb of it. So all and all not to bad. A while back I paid $28.00 bucks for 8oz of IMR X 700 With no hazmzt fee. George

SweetWilliam said:
The problem with ordering powder on line is the Haz Mat fee. What did you have to pay?
Just curious because about 2 yrs ago I wanted some 2400 & no one had it, local or on line. Well I was on vacation & received an email from Cabelas saying in was in stock. So I ordered 4lbs of it. If I remember correctly the fee was $32?
Plus I had to pay tax & shipping. I think I wound up paying something like $36 a pound when it was said & done.
And then about 6 or 8 months later 2400 was everywhere locally.

Rclark

Hunter
Also how hard can I push the Elmer K's with out to much leading?
Depends on the hardness of the bullet (as well as throat sizes, and constrictions in the barrel... so 'depends') . I've run common 15BHN 240g SWCs to 1333fps with no leading. I stopped there as I'm 'past' the load heavy mentality and wasn't interested in pursuing the issue. My .44Mag loads typically run the 240g SWC around 1100fps out of a 6 1/2" barrel.
Beauty of reloading :) . Tailor load to one's wants/needs.