Reloading .44 Magnums with the limited powders we have?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
I'm hunting down some power for .44 magnums... Hard t come by now I guess. like ammo was a few years ago! I do have some IMR X 700 that I have used for my .45 acp's.. I looked online and have found on the IMR web site a chart for .44mag but it only lists the max load for the 240 gr LSWC Elmer K bullets and that is 9.5grs. I would like to start out with a load more to the high end of a .44 special.. they do list some load for that round with both starting load and max loads! I only have .44 mag cases and being new to this I didn't know if the x 700 power could be used in a .44 mag case reduced to .44 special levels.. Starting load is 4.3 grs max 4.9grs again with the 240 gr Elmer K bullets.. Also how hard can I push the Elmer K's with out to much leading? The last question was kind a for down the road as I'm not sure if there hardened or not.. Again I'm new to all this!! Thank you.. George

I am not familiar with 700x. I use 2400 a lot, and 296/H110 occasionally. I have also used Alliant 4227(I am not a fan of it). Leading is caused by an improper fit. I am assuming this will be used in a revolver. Measure the cylinder throat. If .429, then using .430 for lead cast should work fine. That seems like an awfully large spread between the # grains for a .44 spcl vs the magnum in your 700x. Good luck.
gramps

110 and HS6 is readily available in my area may be a decent choice.
Due to the scarcity of 2400 I have been using HS 6. and pleased!
Some loads here. ps

http://www.reloadammo.com/44loads.htm

stevemb

Hunter
If you want to stay to the lighter end, and want some efficiency, you can seat the SWC's deeper. Crimp over the edge of the forward driving band, the shoulder. This will reduce case volume amd allow 44spec like charge weights to work. Tough to give loading advice over the web..risky. Please be careful, get more and other opinions.

5of7

Hunter
George. the easiest way to get good consistent reduced loads in the .44 Mg. is to seat the bullets to match the OAL of .44 Special loads and then use .44 Special data.

Now 700X, being a fast burning powder designed for 1 OZ. 12 Ga. shotgun loads, works quite well for that sort of thing as do a lot of other fast burning powders.

My favorite powder for this task is AA2. It gives good consistent loads, burns very clean at low pressures and is not position sensitive in a lager capacity case like the .44 Mg. 8)

George

Blackhawk
The gun I'll be running the will be a Ruger Super Blackhawk shorty Three and three quarter inch barrel Length.Going to want to start out on the low side as it's the first time with a 44 magnum. Using the Elmer k bullets I wasn't sure I needed to use a gas
check or not if I want to start pushing the load. thank you for letting me know I do I will pick up some for down the road.And thank you for the info on Seating past The crimp as you said Makes sense to me. I have been very confused About powders. I have 8 ounces of x700 that I used for some 45acp I loaded them @ 4.8 grams Top them off with a semi led semi wadcutter Bullet 200 grams.The hazmat aynd shipping is killer on powders so I'm trying to find it locally now. That's a hard thing to do. Only looking to get a pound or so. I think that would be enough for my limited use to start to learn to reload and shoot 44 magnums. As a reference I shoot 45 automatic with no issues at all as far as recoil go's full house loads +P don't bother me a bit one handed fullsize or officers size 1911.That's the reason why I want to start off at somewhere in the middle often a 44 special Power level.Thank you so much So your information and help. George. Sorry for the typos I'm on a cell phone At the moment using speech to textSometimes it works sometimes not so good

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Accurate #5, #7 and #9 are all available at Midway. That should just about cover anything for the 44mag/44special. :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-17586%2B4294957290%2B4294966014%3FNp%3D2%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_visible%253A1%252Ccustomertypeid%253A1%2529%26Nrpp%3D24%26Ns%3Dp_metric_sales_velocity%257C1%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntpr%3D1

There is another thread about IMR 700X right below this one.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=234255

Cdog

Bearcat
I've used W296/H110 for the majority of my 44 Mags.
This powder isn't friendly to reduced charges/velocities.

I keep Accurate #7 and Hodgdon Longshot on hand for full power 9mm and 40 S&W loads. They will allow some less than top end loads in the .44 Mag.

George

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag, Can I use this powder for 45 automatics. A chance you could give me a URL to some listings for 45 ACP and 44 Magnum for this powder the number 9 I'm interested in I'm looking at I think that makes a lot of sense The other stuff review a set of burns too dirty but number 9 got great reviews. May order some have to see in a few charge I'm on a cell phone right now so it makes it tough do that also one text to speech so I'm sorry for typos and such. Thank you very much, George
Jimbo357mag said:
Accurate #5, #7 and #9 are all available at Midway. That should just about cover anything for the 44mag/44special. :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-17586%2B4294957290%2B4294966014%3FNp%3D2%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_visible%253A1%252Ccustomertypeid%253A1%2529%26Nrpp%3D24%26Ns%3Dp_metric_sales_velocity%257C1%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntpr%3D1

There is another thread about IMR 700X right below this one.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=234255

Cdog

Bearcat
For me, Accurate #5 has been an excellent powder in the .45 ACP. Never tried it in a .44.

Accurate #9 is likely too slow of a burner for most .45 ACP applications

Universal Clays is my favorite "go to" powder, but not for magnum performance levels.

One powder for optimum performance in both may be a tough order to fill.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Accurate has a complete load data section online. The 45acp works well with #5 and #7, the 44 magnum with #7 and #9 and the 44 special with #2 and #5.
Homepage http://www.accuratepowder.com/

Reloaders Guide http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WesternLoadGuide1-2016_Web.pdf

mikld

Blackhawk
Lots of "ideas and formula" but I have been reloading .44 Magnum since '87 and like to K.I.S.S.. I have reloaded my 5, .44 Magnums with 123 gr. round ball "gallery loads" to 265 gr, T-Rex Killers. I have often used Special data, right outta the book, in Magnum brass with no problems, but I realize the listed velocities will be higher than what I'll be getting due to larger cases interiors and slightly lower pressures. I always crimp in the crimp groove and I have never stuck a bullet in the barrel with Special data in Magnum brass. For shooting my Ruger Super Blackhawk (with the square backed trigger guard that bloodies my finger) I often use my "Special Magnum" loads because they are much easier on me, and I enjoy shooting a lot more...

Powders are a problem right now, but I have enough Unique, 2400, True Blue, Blue Dot, and Universal to last me a couple years at least...

George

Blackhawk
Ok I ordered 1lb of Accurate#7 and #9 to give them a try. I guess all and all with powder so hard to get at the dealer anywhere near me it's not a bad deal.. I don't shoot a lot so a 1lb of each should go me a long way.. I also downloaded there factory loading guide for hand gun calibers up to 44 magnum. Some good info in there too. I have a Officers Colt 3 1/2" barrel, a Full size 5" barrel both 1911's are in .45acp and a Ruger SBH .44 magnum shorty with a 3 3/4" barrel.. I know most of you don't like to give out your load data but maybe a good place to start for each gun with one of the powders I have coming would be great! Thank you all! George

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
The problem with ordering powder on line is the Haz Mat fee. What did you have to pay?
Just curious because about 2 yrs ago I wanted some 2400 & no one had it, local or on line. Well I was on vacation & received an email from Cabelas saying in was in stock. So I ordered 4lbs of it. If I remember correctly the fee was $32?
Plus I had to pay tax & shipping. I think I wound up paying something like $36 a pound when it was said & done.
And then about 6 or 8 months later 2400 was everywhere locally.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
George said:
I know most of you don't like to give out your load data but maybe a good place to start for each gun with one of the powders I have coming would be great! Thank you all! George
I like to shoot the 44 magnum with 18.0gr of #9 and a 240gr cast lead, plated or jacketed bullet. That is 10% below Max. Out of a short barrel revolver you will probably see some fire. :D :mrgreen:

SweetWilliam said:
The problem with ordering powder online is the Haz Mat fee. What did you have to pay?
Midway now charges $19.99 HazMat fee. The secret to buying powder online is shopping around and buying enough to make the HazMat fee worth while. :D

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag said:
George said:
I know most of you don't like

SweetWilliam said:
The problem with ordering powder online is the Haz Mat fee. What did you have to pay?
Midway now charges $19.99 HazMat fee. The secret to buying powder online is shopping around and buying enough to make the HazMat fee worth while. :D

I could've swore I paid $30 or more from cabelas? Maybe not.
Maybe the $30 was Hazmat & shipping.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I would think tite group would work well I use it in 44 spl. and will load 44 mag. with it when I get a new shorty vaquero, tite group does not care about position in case or temperature.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Pistolero said:
So if I understand correctly, $19.99 HazMat fee is charged per order and not for each container. Am I correct? If that is the case then it is worth paying if I can get the powder I want.
Correct. Just order powder that is 'available', and you can mix and match different powders up to, I think 20 pounds, for the one HazMat fee. I usually order 6-10 pounds of powder at a time. Shipping charges are extra. I usually make an order of only powder or only primers. If you try and combine powder and primers you will get two HazMat fees because they originate from different places or something. Ask me how I know. :?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Pistolero said:
So if I understand correctly, $19.99 HazMat fee is charged per order and not for each container. Am I correct? If that is the case then it is worth paying if I can get the powder I want.

Hi,

Correct... with the possibility of an exception once in a while.

There's a limit on how much can be considered "one order" but it's normally generous: something like "Powder and primers can be combined for one haz-mat fee, with a maximum of 32 lbs of powder and 70 lbs total" from the vendors I use most frequently. Don't quote me, but I think I heard somewhere the 32 lbs is a Federal DOT reg. So, yes, the haz-mat is on the total order, not individual parts of it, unless they're shipped separately. For example, you order three kinds of powder, and they have two in stock but have to back order the third. The arrival date of the b/o powder is an unknown, so to keep you from waiting for everything, they ship in two orders. You'll pay two haz-mat fees that way. Some vendors will hold everything requiring a haz-mat and ship it all at once to avoid this.

Now, don't forget to watch the total price you're gonna see charged to your card before worrying too much about the exact figure on the haz-mat. For example, a recent powder order from Vendor A (a well known supplier) including powder, haz-mat and diesel for the brown truck came to $207 rounded off. The same powder alone, from Vendor B (also a big one), was $200 before the fees despite a lower haz-mat fee!

Rick C