Reddot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Do you like the "tube" or open top type?
I have 2 Burris open top dot sights on 22/45 pistols and really like them but have only used them for range shooting.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I just got my 3rd UltraDot and like them very much but only on a full sized hard kicker.

Ropers%20005b.jpg

For a rimfire, I've really grown fond of the micro tube types like the above-mentioned Bushnell and those from Primary Arms.

IMG_8837b.jpg

I have a Vortex Venom on my .460 XD, briefly used a PA on the above Ruger that's now back in the box somewhere and a cheap Truglo that's now on an air machine pistol. I've used an EOTech and a Fastfire III but the reflex-type are not my favorite. Much prefer the tube type.

IMG_0631.JPG

CraigC

Hawkeye
Some are 1", some are 30mm. I have the MatchDot on my .480 for the adjustable dot size and wish I'd just gotten the regular UltraDot 30.

Ropers%20013b.jpg

Another vote for the UltraDot "family." Quality, value, warranty, reputation.

I've had three of their plain-Jane 25mm tube sights, and have been impressed. I still own two (one was sold in a time of financial hardship). One of my UDs is about 25 years old, and I'm still using it.

I have no personal experience with any reflex-style sights. I'd like to get one, and when I do, the relevant UltraDot offering will certainly get a good look from me.

chilidog

Single-Sixer
is there a reason I would want the match dot or match dot II? Or save money and get the ultra dot? Probably just use it for plinking on a Mark II.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Difference is in the features. The Matchdot II has open turrets and a choice between four dot sizes and two different reticles. For a MKII and sticking with the UltraDot brand, I'd opt for the 1" or the Micro.

I also like the Vortex Strikefire and have three of them but have only used them on rifles.