couple pics of my 10/22's with scope and reddot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

010.jpg

003.jpg

M3Stuart

Bearcat
Very nice.

Couple questions on the top pic as I have the stainless 10/22 with laminate stock;
What kind of stock is that? What is that mounted in the rear scope-mount-hole (closer to the your eye) of the red dot? Is that part of the red dot mount or is it for the "other" sight?

Thanks, again - nice setup.

donut757

Blackhawk
M3Stuart said:
Very nice.

Couple questions on the top pic as I have the stainless 10/22 with laminate stock;
What kind of stock is that? What is that mounted in the rear scope-mount-hole (closer to the your eye) of the red dot? Is that part of the red dot mount or is it for the "other" sight?

Thanks, again - nice setup.

I believe that is one of the hogue overmold stocks... and some sort of peep sight style rear sight.

Please do tell us about that peep sight, what kind of front sight do you use and how about adjustments, or whatever else?

ive got True shot Technology aperture sight on my 10/22 with their see thru base.... that looks very simple and basic..

m657 said:
Looks like it handles very fast for multiple targets.

Is the peep sight usable with the Burris mounted too?

Thanks for the photos.
You have to take the Burris off to use the peep sights but it is held on by only one flat head screw. The mount is not in the way at all.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
That Leupold on the TD looks great, it's just what I want, we are connected on the ethereal plane... :lol:

Now come and jack slap me back to Earth with the price ;).

Really nice though, I like it. Perfect. I notice that you have to mount it all the way to the rear on the rail and with the scope as far "back" in the rings as possible to make the eye relief work and to make it fit in the pack. Those are proving to be the critical dimensions in my finding a good scope for this gun, at a reasonable price too. That Leupold is *bang on* where it should be in terms of length at the front of the buttstock and receiver portion to fit back into the Ruger pack, and it's also right where it should be in terms of eye relief. Nice job.

How much cost that scope?

[Aside: I think this is one area of the 10/22 TD that Ruger didn't think through as well as they should have. At the very least, the rail they supply should have a little more length toward the rear of the receiver, and I don't think they really thought through the scope options that well. There are very few that will fit and work well that are decently priced for a $3XX gun, and still fit into the factory supplied case. It's something I think they need to address. I love Jeff Quinn and have a lot of respect for him but I don't have any compact Leupold scopes or other AR-15 compact scopes laying around gathering dust, either.

I'm also kinda ticked this rifle didn't come with sling studs mounted or at least supplied, because it begs for them. It's a great concept in general, but they didn't complete the package in a couple of ways, and so far they're not giving much help. They need to help new owners accessorize this gun with a good but relatively inexpensive scope option that will fit in the pack still attached to the receiver. It's kind of a "letdown" on the "takedown" that they didn't, and I think it's also a missed sales opportunity on their part not to have a couple of Ruger-branded models right there on the 10/22 TD "Extras" page.

Redfield comes to mind. I'll practically guarantee a nice Redfield model made for the 10/22 TD that fits without holding your mouth right would be a hot seller. Make it a 1.5-6x 30-32mm as a factory option and you've got a real winner there. And yes, I know Leupold owns Redfield. 8)]

NixieTube said:
That Leupold on the TD looks great, it's just what I want, we are connected on the ethereal plane... :lol:

Now come and jack slap me back to Earth with the price ;).

Really nice though, I like it. Perfect. I notice that you have to mount it all the way to the rear on the rail and with the scope as far "back" in the rings as possible to make the eye relief work and to make it fit in the pack. Those are proving to be the critical dimensions in my finding a good scope for this gun, at a reasonable price too. That Leupold is *bang on* where it should be in terms of length at the front of the buttstock and receiver portion to fit back into the Ruger pack, and it's also right where it should be in terms of eye relief. Nice job.

How much cost that scope?

[Aside: I think this is one area of the 10/22 TD that Ruger didn't think through as well as they should have. At the very least, the rail they supply should have a little more length toward the rear of the receiver, and I don't think they really thought through the scope options that well. There are very few that will fit and work well that are decently priced for a $3XX gun, and still fit into the factory supplied case. It's something I think they need to address. I love Jeff Quinn and have a lot of respect for him but I don't have any compact Leupold scopes or other AR-15 compact scopes laying around gathering dust, either.

I'm also kinda ticked this rifle didn't come with sling studs mounted or at least supplied, because it begs for them. It's a great concept in general, but they didn't complete the package in a couple of ways, and so far they're not giving much help. They need to help new owners accessorize this gun with a good but relatively inexpensive scope option that will fit in the pack still attached to the receiver. It's kind of a "letdown" on the "takedown" that they didn't, and I think it's also a missed sales opportunity on their part not to have a couple of Ruger-branded models right there on the 10/22 TD "Extras" page.

Redfield comes to mind. I'll practically guarantee a nice Redfield model made for the 10/22 TD that fits without holding your mouth right would be a hot seller. Make it a 1.5-6x 30-32mm as a factory option and you've got a real winner there. And yes, I know Leupold owns Redfield. 8)]
I did mount the scope as far back as it would go and it works perfectly at that location. It's like this scope was just made for this application. Fits in the pack just fine. I bought it at Optics Planet for 209.99 with free shipping. Like yourself I would have liked it if Ruger had put sling mounts on the rifle. I have also installed VQ parts on both of the rifles, target hammer, extractor, and bolt buffers. I am waiting for a extended mag release for the one with the XS sights. About the XS sights, I was amazed at how well they work. I am 65 with poor eyesight but I can shoot groups almost as well with them as I can with the scope or the red dot. I also mounted the scope on one of Leupold's low scope mount. You can actually see the iron sights quite well over the top of that mount.

m657

Buckeye
SB7777: thanks a ton for your inspirational posts!!!

Please comment on such use as "50 yard targets" comparing the scope vs red dot vs XS sights. Or photos of such groups if you can. I too have 'geezer eyes' and need all the help they can get.

I'm patiently awaiting my own TD to get it set up much like this....although I do like the TDS100 sights too. I can't find them around here to actually do a hands-on inspection.

m657 said:
SB7777: thanks a ton for your inspirational posts!!!

Please comment on such use as "50 yard targets" comparing the scope vs red dot vs XS sights. Or photos of such groups if you can. I too have 'geezer eyes' and need all the help they can get.

I'm patiently awaiting my own TD to get it set up much like this....although I do like the TDS100 sights too. I can't find them around here to actually do a hands-on inspection.
I don't shoot at 50 yards. I shoot off that picnic table on my porch and shoot 25 yards all the time. As long as I can shoot under 1 inch groups at that range I am happy. I can normally do that with any of the sight set ups I have. Occasionly I do get groups under 1/2 inch and am really happy.

m657

Buckeye
thanks again ......"for all practical purposes" that is adequate for my own needs as well....I get carried away sometimes with the old bulls eye notions of sub-1/4" MOA is required in everything! HAR!!!

nnero93

Bearcat
Love that setup! Where did you get the short rail? I have a fastfire on the carry handle handle of my AR-15 but may have to move it. I have a 4x scope on my 10/22 now and cant get used to it. I recently put in a volquartsen extractor and can now shoot ammo that used to jam. Made me fall in love with little ruger again lol. It cost too much to burn throw 5.56!

nnero93 said:
Love that setup! Where did you get the short rail? I have a fastfire on the carry handle handle of my AR-15 but may have to move it. I have a 4x scope on my 10/22 now and cant get used to it. I recently put in a volquartsen extractor and can now shoot ammo that used to jam. Made me fall in love with little ruger again lol. It cost too much to burn throw 5.56!
I just cut off the scope mount that came with the Ruger. Aluminum is real easy to cut, very soft. I then took my file and then some fine grit sand paper and smoothed it all up. Looks like it came that way and I figured that 2 screws holding it on should be plenty since the little Burris sight weighs practically nothing.

Latest posts