Red Dot on a MKIII, a little help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
I have a short barreled MKIII Hunter and I'm not liking the express sights with fiber optic up front. most of the use this gun sees is indoor ranges with not great lighting and I'd like to do a little squirrel hunting with it. My question, does anyone here have experience with the ADCO Arms Co. Ranger dot sights? looks like a fixed 3 moa dot with 11 brightness settings at around $129. Do you think I'll just end up with a UltraDot in the end? Is 3 MOA a good choice for hunting,plinking? School me guys, and thanks, kyle

Bushwack

Bearcat
Hi,

Not sure I can school you but it was recommended to me to put a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot (http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/trophy-red-dot/trs-1x-25mm) on my Mark III Target. I use it mostly for outdoor plinking and paper targets (in sunny SoCal) and it was the best $65 I spent on the pistol.

they 've been having the Bushnell Trophy red /green dot, on sale around here for $99 and they are kinda neat, have the dot, the cross hair and the circle with a semi cross hair in red OR green for you old folks that may be color blind to one or the other...... 8) :roll: :wink:

s4s4u

Hunter
Is 3 MOA a good choice for hunting,plinking?

This will depend on the target size, and distance. A 3 MOA dot will cover 1" @ 33 yards, and there will be a little fuzz effect that will expand that a wee bit. I don't know of any smaller except for the MatchDot which goes down to 2 MOA.