Rear Sight Question for 186 Series Mini

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Welding Rod

Bearcat
I have a new 186 series Mini (never been shot).

The rear sight aperature has a little side-to-side play, and substantial vertical play within the rear sight assembly.

Is there any common fix for this? Or a replacement piece?

I figure I could smash an edge of the aperature piece to take up some of the clearance if I need to. But I would like a little info on how to take the rear sight apart. Anyone have a link for the process? Or is it just a matter of knocking out the right side pin and then unscrewing the horizontal sight assembly screw?

Thanks

Law27

Bearcat
Hey Welding Rod,
My name is Larry and I represent Tech-SIGHTS. We have been looking at the older Mini 14s and wondered if there was a market for a rebuild kit that give the shooter a good solid easily adjustable sight assembly without the aperture play that was built into the original Ruger design. We have had feed back from customers who say that the original sight is loose....The finish wears off easily....etc. We did some prototyping and the new system is coming along nicely. If we get enough interest we may introduce the package later this year. I welcome any questions and suggestions from Ruger Mini 14 shooters.

Larry
Tech-SIGHTS, LLC

Welding Rod

Bearcat
Hi larry. I would definitely be interested.

Funny thing is my first Mini that I bought in the late 80s had the same issue. I got tired of the sloppy sight and sold the gun off. This gun however was willed to me so I plan on keeping it. I hate to give up a MOA or more just in aperature play.

If you persue this, I would also suggest coating the aperature piece with a matte finish. The OEM part is shiney blued - not appropriate for any sight component.

It would really be nice if the aperature could be made more like a new Mini's / M16 so that it was shaped like a lolipop, allowing vision on either side of the aperature ring.

And of course the the edges of the aperature hole should be cleanly and precisely cut.

Larry, by older if you mean the zillion they made before the 580 upgrade, then yes for sure. I'd also like to see the same type sight for the Ranch style rifles.

Welding Rod, I had the shiny peep hole problem with the tech sights on my 10/22 at the Gaston, S.C. Appleseed shoot back in March... solution is simple... bic lighter will soot up the inside of the hole and also get rid of any lint or dust at the same time.