re-visiting the 77/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I haven't shot my 77/22 for several years so in prep for the upcoming elk hunt, I thought I should relearn how to operate a bolt rifle. I've been mostly using semi-auto's lately and that whole "gotta work the knob" has slipped some. It also seems I've been neglecting any sort of practical position shooting so I planned to add that to the regimen. My favorite field position is sitting using shooting sticks as I'm getting a bit shaky for offhand at much distance.
So far, I'm not sticking to the training plan of 25-50 shots per day but have been knocking out 20 or so now and then. It IS harvest time and most days I'm dragging by the time the combine shuts down for the day(or it's too dark to shoot).
Anyhoo, I'm beginning to get back into the cadence. Couple of days ago Tom and the kids drove in as I was finishing my session with 10 shots as fast as I could work the bolt and hit the 4" 50 yard swinger . G'son came out to the range, looked around, and asked where the 10-22 was as he wanted to crack off a couple of shots. Ha, no 10-22 here, that was aimed rapid fire from a bolt action, dude. He sort of looked at me like "How did that happen". I'm sure he'd never seen us shoot a bolt rifle other than from the sandbags or hunting when it's usually just one shot or little Sister's single shot.

9x19

Hunter
I used to be pretty fast with my 77/22M when I lived in Colo and was shooting at Jacks. That was way back in the early 90s though and before the 10/22M, 597M and Volquartsen were available in .22WMR.

contender

Ruger Guru
:D I once had a buddy want to hunt with me. He borrowed one of my rifles,,, and we were about 500-600 yds apart in different stands. It was legal to bag more than one deer a day. I was using my T/C Contender in 7x30 waters. I killed 3 deer in rapid succession. When he got to me,, he couldn't believe a single shot pistol had been used, as he head my rapid shooting. That day, I was wearing a ammo carrier on my arm, and shucking shells & reloading was quick.
I love it when someone gets a surprise education about something they THOUGHT they knew.

JFB

Hunter
THANKS...

I don't have any hunting plans, but I've also not taking the 77/22 (nor any other rifle) out for years.

TODAY, the 77/22 comes out, low power scope and no can!

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I have a 77/22 from about twenty+ years ago. Set it up with an AO and
variable 3-9 scope. Factory (can you say heavy) trigger, and I have the
Volq trigger, ready to go in. My problem is that it shoots 3/4" ten shot
groups from sand bags, at fifty yards, as it is. I'm just hard pressed to fix
what seems to not be broken. :D

hpman66

Hunter
I think it was Skeeter Skelton(gun writer) that told the story about his days in LE. As he told his story, he and some of his LE buds got into a shoot out with the bad guys. After everything was over and no one got hurt, all his buddies were asking Skeeter how in the world he ever got his single action revolver to go full auto like it had during the shoot out. :mrgreen:

My 77/22 has the scope set a bit too low and the bolt actually kisses the eyepiece if worked vigorously. It would be easier if there was more room. On the other hand, it works well with the "palm the bolt" method which I prefer. This method is less likely to fail when wearing gloves or with cold,stiff fingers.
I limit how much of this stress I give the 77/22 as I'm pretty sure it will cause more wear on the moving parts(it's not nearly as robust as a 98 Mauser which was designed to get this treatment all day long).

eastbank

Single-Sixer
I don,t think you will cause undue wear on your 77/22 with rapidfire when needed. I have been shooting my 77/22 for over 30 years with rapid fire when needed while hunting with no wear I can see. eastbank.