Rayovac battery gripe

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I usually write the date of purchase on the package so I use batteries in sequence but maybe forgot this package. No difference really because the copyright date on the package's advertising is 2014 so purchased sometime post 2014 and the battery guarantee is shown in large print as '10 years (in storage)'. Probably opened the package a couple weeks back so yeah, getting toward the end of shelf life but still within the 10 years.
No idea what I put the first 3 batteries in but apparently they still had power. Picked 3 batteries at random from the package this morning for my EDC light and it barely glowed. Checked the output and found 2 @ .25 volts and 1 @ 1.58. Checked rest of package and found only 2 that had more than .25-.35 volts and most showed leakage and were growing 'fur'.
Got on the website and was confronted by a 'chat with me' page. Stated my issue and got a response of "Fill out the form and we'll get your problem resolved". Supposedly sent me a 'secure page' on which I could work out the remedy. Yeah, that's a solid NOPER. It's been an hour, I've checked my email inbox including junk file and no 'secure page'.
After while a little bulb came on and I realized I'd been down this road a while back. Rayovac customer service was supposed to send me a label to return a ruined flashlight and the batteries that damaged it but that never arrived. HMMM, I see a pattern. Guess I'll not buy any more of that brand. Might as well gamble on MENARDS house brand--at least if those go sour, I can walk into the store and complain.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

If it's any consolation, I've had DuraCells start growing fuzz at about half their projected shelf life. Also totally flat right out of the package, approaching their expected storage life within a year or so. My best luck overall is with Energizers, and contrary to the ads, the rabbit gets tired sooner than projected, too.

Rick C

redhawker

Buckeye
I'm sure they put that 10-year guarantee on there because 90% of the people buying batteries are buying them for immediate or near future use. Out of the 10% that store them long term I'll bet they're betting that 90% of those won't bother to complain if the batteries are low or dead when they get to them in 6,8, or 10 years. That small percentage group is easily ignored because 90% of those that would complain probably forget about their complaint a month or so later when they're supposed to get the label to mail the "defective" batteries back.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I am pretty sure all the others, Energizers, Copper Tops, etc. are all about the same, at least they all leak over time, and they probably all come from the same factory in China.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I have used only dura cell for 25 years. I haven’t run into dead out of the box, but do find the forgotten emergency light stashed somewhere that leaked. Oddly enough they usually still worked. Every time I have contacted the company they have sent me a check. The process is getting to a little painful because I generally wait until I have enough to make postage worthwhile, and the system is set set for a single unit, but they always come through.

turd

Buckeye
Battery brands are like car brands and other brands. Everyone has a favorite or you just buy the cheapest ones and hope. I go off the recommendation from my insulin pump manufacturer - use nothing but Eveready. I've never had any type of Eveready leak, and have had some that I forgot about for years and still worked well when found and used. Not just insulin pump batteries (although pretty common AAs), but Ds, Cs, AAAs, etc.

Just my story and I'm stickin' to it. :mrgreen:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I had a fairly fresh package of 'pink bunny' batteries and put 3 in my EDC light. We'll see how they perform.
The thing I find odd is the batteries in those really cheap (8 for $10) 3xAAA flashlights that TSC & Menards sells will sit for years w/o a leak and do pretty well when it's time to use them. The whole light w/batteries costs $1.25 yet the push button switch lasts a long time and the batteries are OK but as expected the output is weak. Honestly, for a simple piddling light, why not just use them until the batteries die, toss the batteries, and keep the light for parts. I've got one in my inside the house pants pocket, one on the computer desk, one in the dark corner behind the reloading bench, and 3-4 scattered across my work bench. No telling how many I've scattered/lost while working on stuff outside but @ $1.25, so what?