Rattlesnake

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doccash

Buckeye
Just a few things about rattlesnakes. The vertical slits on the sides of the head are pupils of the eye. Vertical slit pupils are common to poisionous snakes as opposed to round pupils. The tongue is a sensor. The round holes are the 'pits' of a pit viper. Note the well developed eyebrow to protect the eye. This snake had emotional problems that were hard for me to cope with and he succombed to a blast from a winchester .44-40 deluxe short rifle [the snake was the same length] Dr.C

stevemb

Hunter
I suggest further intense therapy involving a cast iron skillet. That pic would have my M-n-Law hyperventilating !

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome back doc! We were just wondering where you were.

An EXCELLENT picture of the face of a pit viper. It's that kind of detail that needs to be shown & shared to educate people!

Great photos. Doc, tell me about the camera, lens and settings used. Also, to slow the heart rates of those who over react to such photos, what was the distance from lens to snake.

In fact, I'd like to see the above data for all the photos you post.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Great picture and a happy ending to the story, all snakes should be killed and made into leather products.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Jeepnik said:

Hi,

Jeepnik, it's a long way around the barn, but one can sometimes (but not always!) get the info from pictures posted on Photobucket:

I opened the pic in Photobucket (right click the Forum pic and click on "View image"), then right clicked it. Next I clicked on "Save image as..." which will save it to wherever one wants it. From there, I opened it in Windows Live Photo Gallery (this computer's default), and right clicked it again. Clicking on "Properties" results in a little window with the info you're looking for. I dunno if other photo viewers give you this option, but they probably do if you look.

Doc can confirm if that window's info is correct--here's what it told me:

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, f/8, 1/800 sec, ISO 200, focal length 400mm

Now, Doc's got an automatic copyright on the picture, so I deleted it from my hard drive after finding that info...

Hope Doc's got a recipe for those guys that's as good as his pictures!

Rick C

Rick Courtright said:
Jeepnik said:

Hi,

Jeepnik, it's a long way around the barn, but one can sometimes (but not always!) get the info from pictures posted on Photobucket:

I opened the pic in Photobucket (right click the Forum pic and click on "View image"), then right clicked it. Next I clicked on "Save image as..." which will save it to wherever one wants it. From there, I opened it in Windows Live Photo Gallery (this computer's default), and right clicked it again. Clicking on "Properties" results in a little window with the info you're looking for. I dunno if other photo viewers give you this option, but they probably do if you look.

Doc can confirm if that window's info is correct--here's what it told me:

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, f/8, 1/800 sec, ISO 200, focal length 400mm

Now, Doc's got an automatic copyright on the picture, so I deleted it from my hard drive after finding that info...

Hope Doc's got a recipe for those guys that's as good as his pictures!

Rick C

Yep, could get it that way, but I'd much rather get it from the horses mouth. Besides it will likely start a nice comparison of equipment. And, it doesn't tell you much about the lens.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Jeepnik said:
Besides it will likely start a nice comparison of equipment. And, it doesn't tell you much about the lens.

Hi,

That's true, Jeepnik. If Doc's still using the same equipment, here's what he described last year: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=215190&p=2150331&hilit=canon+7d#p2150331

Does that help any?

I don't see so much of it today, but wasn't it almost some kind of unwritten rule in the days of film to give all that info when one posted a picture? Kinda braggin' rights sorta thing, maybe? Maybe it was just something I saw in the magazines my father had around the house during his short-lived plan to become the next Ansel Adams--memory's fuzzy. ;)

Rick C

Rick Courtright said:
Jeepnik said:
Besides it will likely start a nice comparison of equipment. And, it doesn't tell you much about the lens.

Hi,

That's true, Jeepnik. If Doc's still using the same equipment, here's what he described last year: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=215190&p=2150331&hilit=canon+7d#p2150331

Does that help any?

I don't see so much of it today, but wasn't it almost some kind of unwritten rule in the days of film to give all that info when one posted a picture? Kinda braggin' rights sorta thing, maybe? Maybe it was just something I saw in the magazines my father had around the house during his short-lived plan to become the next Ansel Adams--memory's fuzzy. ;)

Rick C

I figured it was a fixed lens. Most zooms just don't have the sharpness. I have a fixed 300 F4L that I use a lot. I also use a 7D. Still even if I used the exact same equipment, I think Doc's images would still out shine 90% of mine. Photography is a science, but more importantly it is an art. And the art part is where most folks aren't created equal.

The good thing about digital is that you can take scads of images and if you get things just right a few will really pop.

doccash

Buckeye
Jeep: Guess I'm just lazy and figure that no one really cares about the details. But the camera is a 7D Mk2 and the lens is a 400mm f5.6 L The snake was just in the focal range of the lens but it really had a hateful disposition and hept striking at me even when I was 10' away. The .44-40 took over for the camera before I got hurt. :mrgreen: Dr.C

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Great photo, even with a telephoto lens I don't think I'd want to get close enough to take that picture; what brand of rattlesnake is that one?
This one was on my neighbors back patio one evening after dark, it's an Arizona Black Rattlesnake, not seen very often. The neighbor sent it to rattlesnake heaven with a rake, skinned it and made a hatband.
409638054.jpg

HH