Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Just purely for amusement:

Rate these three revolvers in order of your preference:

*S&W 686

*Ruger GP100

*Colt King Cobra

Assume the same barrel length for all three, and stainless steel construction.

Disregard price/cost (assume someone's going to give you your first choice) and value (i.e., what you could sell it for).

You may assume for "purpose" whatever use you wish--hunting, carry, home defense, "target" shooting, or whatever.

How would you rate the three in 1-2-3 order? And, please, why?

Discuss. :?

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
1 - GP100 - I have small hands. I find the trigger reach on the GP is best for me.

2 - S&W - I carry S&W Js but the larger frames I have an issue with the trigger as noted above.

3 - Colt - I have never been bitten by the Colt name. As a company Colt was mismanaged from the end of WWII until the present. They seemed to think "Colt" meant more than it really did. Colt almost abandoned the civilian market in the 90s altho the present management seems to be trying to break back in. The King Cobra just never really excited me in any way.

rtl

Single-Sixer
Not to just phone in a response, but I gotta say I agree with clayflingythingy completely there.

rt

hittman

Staff member
Now ..... add Security Six to the mix and you'll have a new number one.

Snake45

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Now ..... add Security Six to the mix and you'll have a new number one.
Absolutely not. Slightly different class of gun. Please keep to the three choices listed. :wink:

DonD

Single-Sixer
rtl said:
Not to just phone in a response, but I gotta say I agree with clayflingythingy completely there.

rt

Although the 686 is an excellent revolver, I still vote for the above. Don

Snake45 said:
Just purely for amusement:

Rate these three revolvers in order of your preference:

*S&W 686

*Ruger GP100

*Colt King Cobra

Disregard price/cost (assume someone's going to give you your first choice) and value (i.e., what you could sell it for).

You may assume for "purpose" whatever use you wish--hunting, carry, home defense, "target" shooting, or whatever.

How would you rate the three in 1-2-3 order? And, please, why?

Discuss. :?

1) 686. My 686 is one of my all-time favorite revolvers. Extremely accurate, well made, fits my hand.

2) King Cobra. It's a Colt. Kind've between the Trooper and the Anaconda, another very nice gun. Lots of money.

3) GP100. It'll work every time, can do extra duty as a club or as a tire chock, and if ya bang it up you wont care. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Snake45,

I can't really comment on the three as you stated as I've very little experience with the Colt or Ruger DA you list. I do believe the 686 (my preference is the 586) is the best DA .357 Magnum to come along, and is head and shoulders above all other .357 Magnums. I've had a little range time, but not much, with the other two, and would probably pick the Ruger slightly over the Colt.

Bob Wright

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
The 686 is my favorite. If I had to have one centerfire it would be the 686. I have enough guns that I can shoot anything I want and the 686 is the one. :)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Jim Luke said:
Same as you have them listed.
+1 also. The S&W action is better than the GP and the L-frame is plenty strong. The GP doesn't have as refined (or refine-able) an action as the 686 but is anvil rugged. Colts are too finicky and the actions too fragile.

Smith, Colt, Ruger in that order. I would have moved the Ruger ahead of the Colt if it was a Security Six. Ruger blew it when the quit making the SS. If they had wanted to introduce a heavier revolver that would be fine, but do it as an addition to the SS.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I have a 586 and a GP100. Both are real well made revolvers. The GP seems a little heavier consructed. The GP seems to me more maintainable as you can easily pull the trigger group for deep cleaning.

I don't have experience with the Colt.

Corbi

375supermag

Blackhawk
I have a &W 686 that I have shot an enormous amount of rounds through. It is an extremely accurate revolver.
i have shot a lot of GP100s and found them completely serviceable, but have never found a need to buy one.
I have not shot a King Cobra but do own a couple of Troopers. They are accurate and reliable.

I own at least seven or eight .357Mag revolvers and would rate every one of them behind my 686 Silhouette model.

At the end of the day, of all the handguns in various calibers and styles that I own, it would probably be the last one I would part with.