Rat shot bounce back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
This is a "Hold my beer and watch this" moment. :shock: :oops:

I have a home made target stand that I use regularly made of 2x2's and a piece of 3/4" plywood that I mount targets on. The other day I thought why not check out the patterning of .22mag rat shot from my LCR .22mag. So I taped a piece of printer paper up, backed off about 20 ft and pulled the trigger.

Did you know that rat shot will bounce back at you from plywood? Well it does. Not enough to hurt, but enough to get my attention. I was wearing googles which kept at least one pellet out of my left eye. :shock:

It was a pretty good pattern tho. :mrgreen:

4kdave

Blackhawk
Would have thought that .22 mag. would have stuck to the plywood.
Good on you for wearing eye protection. Hope you weren't smiling !!!!!

Unfortunately been there, done that. I have a home made target stand that has open middle and I staple cardboard to it and targets to the cardboard. Well one day I was at the range and didn't have my target along. I also wanted to pattern CCI shot shells in my then new Smith 317. Put a target on the 4x8' particle wood back stop and learned my lesson. I had glasses on luckily because my face was peppered. Pretty good pattern on the ricochet.

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner said:
Unfortunately been there, done that. I have a home made target stand that has open middle and I staple cardboard to it and targets to the cardboard. Well one day I was at the range and didn't have my target along. I also wanted to pattern CCI shot shells in my then new Smith 317. Put a target on the 4x8' particle wood back stop and learned my lesson. I had glasses on luckily because my face was peppered. Pretty good pattern on the ricochet.

Yeppers, me too. :shock: I was testing the pattern of some homemade .44 Shotshells, #8 shot, on a newspaper page tacked to the end of a large, cut off tree trunk at 5 or 6 yards. My face got peppered real good, but I was wearing my safety glasses from work. :( At least I learned to not try THAT trick again. :oops:

skeeter

Single-Sixer
Did you know that a 38 wadcutter will bounce off a bowling pin? I have a nice dent in my truck to prove it. Mad me feel like a real dumbass.

djw54

Single-Sixer
skeeter said:
Did you know that a 38 wadcutter will bounce off a bowling pin? I have a nice dent in my truck to prove it. Mad me feel like a real dumbass.
And it hurts when one smacks you in the hand when you're standing behind the line, too! Had that happen at a bowling pin match.

coach

Hunter
I saw a .45 bounce back from a bowling pin and draw blood on a guy's forehead.
As a kid I shot a bb at a plastic army man and watched it bounce back into my forehead. I was a good 50' or so away. Slow enough to watch, but too fast to react.
Good to know about rat shot. I would have thought it would stick into plywood.

over the years, we have had happen to us, and seen others, and that you can about name the caliber, or gauge and we have seen bullets "bounce back" from trees, posts, metal plates, whatever,,,,as they say "safety first" and KNOW your back stop...
how well we know, we've been "hit", numerous times, also my neighbor Dennis lost his right eye from a "bounce back" of the metal jacket off a jacketed 357 mag, hit him just above the right eye , went in spun around and cut off the optic nerve,and he barely flinched, or bled.....never say never

( I only say bounce back cause we can't spell rickoshay) :?

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
Exploded said:
The reason this stuff bounces back is because you guys are not shooting what it's meant for !! :shock: :mrgreen:

How do YOU know? Maybe I meant to pepper my own face with shot. :mrgreen:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Exploded said:
The reason this stuff bounces back is because you guys are not shooting what it's meant for !! :shock: :mrgreen:

Butbutbut, I thought bullets would penetrate everything!! I mean, look at the bullets those airplanes used in Iraq a few years ago - they went right thru the Iraqi tanks! :wink: :mrgreen:

Exploded

Bearcat
GunnyGene said:
Exploded said:

Butbutbut, I thought bullets would penetrate everything!! I mean, look at the bullets those airplanes used in Iraq a few years ago - they went right thru the Iraqi tanks! :wink: :mrgreen:

Bullets are use specific,do you eat soup with a fork ?? :mrgreen:

eveled

Hawkeye
coach said:
As a kid I shot a bb at a plastic army man and watched it bounce back into my forehead. I was a good 50' or so away. Slow enough to watch, but too fast to react.
Good to know about rat shot. I would have thought it would stick into plywood.

Mine was a penny, at about 10 feet. Hit the penny, then watched the BB come back and hit me above my eye. Same exact thing slow enough to see, but too fast to react.

Don't ever try shooting bowling pins with a 22. Bullets will end up going where ever they want to.

If you make your target stand with a slight bit of a downward angle, most everything will deflect into the ground. Still wearing safety glasses is always the best way to go.

Hotel1Actual

Bearcat
Many years ago when I was a boy with a lever action Daisy BB rifle I had a BB ricochet and hit me in the leg. I had just walked through tall wet grass and my blue jeans were soaked, and that BB smarted like crazy.