Rarity of the 5 1/4" tapered bull bbl MKII?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnny k

Bearcat
About 5-6 years ago I purchased a MKII with the 5 1/4" tappered bull barrel. Yep, not the 5.5" bull barrel. Ser. no. is 217-4461x.
I got it because it just looked "right" and seemed to balance well between weight and barrel length.
Of all the times I've been on various gun sites I've never seen one for sale.
A year or so after I got it I put it in my foam lined case for a trip to the range... not realizine my cat had used the case as a receptical for it's #1 urges. I ended up not even shooting the Ruger that day, and when I got back home and found the gun coated in light rust - well you can imagine!
In the past 7-8 months I finally got around to refinishing my Ruger. After hand polishing the entire frame and receiver I sent the frame off for a hard chrome coating, along with most of the parts. The receiver I had blued. I have to say it turned out great!
The side note to the story is, after firing one magazine out of it after getting back from refinishing and in the process of loading another mag I accidentally (Of course) dropped the gun on the cement tarmac. (I know...I know!!) I plan on hand polishing the receiver ( a g a i n ) and having it reblued, the receiver taking most of the road rash.
Bottom line: Just wondering how "rare" this specific barrel length is and if you guys might know the date of manufacture.
Thanks much! John

johnny k

Bearcat
I'll try....never done it before though. If anyone can give me a hint as to how to post photos I'll do it...most likely with my wife's help - I am the most computer illiterate person on the planet!

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I wanna SEE Too!!
THERE'S SEVERAL THREADS ABOUT POSTING PHOTOS..
AT FIRST IT MAY SEEM A BIT DIFFICULT BUT AS YOU DO IT AGAIN & AGAIN IT'LL BECOME EASIER..

My Little MKII Target w/ 6 7/8 tapered barrel
rugermkiitargetavatar.jpg

hr2lrn

Single-Sixer
According to Ruger records, ONLY ONE OF THESE left the factory. There was a post earlier looking for your gun. The guy offered $25,000. if it was left totally original and unmolested. :twisted:
Sigh!

I personally think that you need to run and hide. There are a lot of 514 fans around here, and if they every catch up with you, the will take turns whipping your ass in the alley behind the Ruger lounge. On the other hand, there is now one less in existence so the price goes up on all of the others.

Do you still have that cat?

johnny k

Bearcat
Get outta town! Nope, I'm positive it's a 5.25" tapered bull, MKII as I stated. I've been in to firearms since I was a kid and am currently a firearms instructor at a 300 plus (person) police department.
I'm instructing tomorrow (and the wife is alseep) so I hope to be able to post some pics tomorrow after 6 or so.
We'll figure this one out!
Thanks guys! John

chet15

Hawkeye
The 5-1/4" tapered barrel Mark II's are really not that rare, but are pretty tough to find these days.
The first ones that came out were for Outdoor Sports in 1990. From the reference:

KMK514 special distributor model. Features a regular production KMK514 with Desert Camo thumbrest grips. Known s/n range 216-42263 to 216-43553. About 1,500 produced for Outdoor Sports (OH) in 1990.

After that run they were made as regular production in blue and stainless with plastic grips.
The highest I've had reported to me is a stainless gun sn 219-37248.

The 215- prefix guns are believed to be a pre-production run through as acceptance guns for sale to distributor(s).

Overall, there were probably several thousand 5-1/4" guns made in blue and stainless. Same for the 22/45 model in stainless (no blue 22/45's with 5-1/4" barrel made).
Chet15

Bootlegger

Single-Sixer
Chet you rock, do you know that? I should be getting my info today about RENE and RCA (along with a nice little two tone MKIII) exspect my check within a week, MUST....KNOW.......EVERYTHING!!!!!

johnny k

Bearcat
johnsgun187.jpg

Here it is guys... my "Now not so rare" MKII 5.25" / Customized. Sorry - first attempt...the photos aren't the best.

johnny k

Bearcat
If you look close in the area of the serial number and the right side of the muzzle you can see the "new" road rash... I'll have to get that fixed sometime soon.