Mark II 4 3/4" tapered barrel front sight questions.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Century Limited

Bearcat
I was fortunate enough to pick up a Mark II 50th anniversary pistol at an amazing price. It appeared to be unfired but had some bluing missing at rear of frame where frame meets the barrel. Upon getting it home and taking pictures for insurance purposes, I noticed the front sight had slid back in slot. The pin had been sheared. I bought a new pin but have yet to stake it in as want to see if there are more easily seen aftermarket sights that would benefit my old eyes. I see many options for adjustable sight models but nothing for the 4.75" barreled fixed sight models. I am thinking I will just settle for the white nail polish on front blade and spend money on another Mark II target version, but figured if anyone knows of better sights it would be someone here.

I am guessing someone tried to take gun down and ended up banging sight and shearing pin. The gun is really tight and a real pain to get bolt pin back in when assembling. I am sure it will get better after awhile.

Any suggestion on fiber optic sight or such that will work with fixed rear sight?

Also, should I try to peen pin with center punch to hold it in place or are there better options? Would blue locktite alone hold or would the heat from firing loosen it up. Pin is tiny and solid but floats out.

Pictures with sight out of place as received, The one with racking assist as she is now. I fired just short of 100 rounds so far and love it enough I ordered several more mec-gar mags as the 5 I have functioned flawlessly. I would have shot more but ran out of time as spent time shooting my 41 mag Blackhawk. Good dilemma if you ask me!

Attachments

• left side as received.jpeg
    left side as received.jpeg
    742.8 KB · Views: 90
  • right side.jpeg
    right side.jpeg
    737.8 KB · Views: 84
  • left side now.jpeg
    left side now.jpeg
    718.9 KB · Views: 80
easiest to simply knock the blade back in place, finish removing the pin "pieces" replace with a 1/16 inch pin ( we use drill rod), Loctite the blade if you feel it is loose, doubt it unless they boogered the slot...let set up ,dry, and touch up with a dab of cold blue....yes you can color ( tint?) the backside of the blade but to many of us the "black" contrast works well, after all it is NOT a "ramp sight" which usually needs a bit of color for "older eyes" ( till you are out in bright daylight, at noon.......):rolleyes:;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Good info above.

Years ago,, there was a set of adjustable sights (aftermarket) offered for the MKI. You removed the front blade, and the complete rear assy. Replace it with the Ram-Line aftermarket set. They came with a few different colored inserts for the front and rear, to give a contrasting color for those who wished for one.
Heck, I think I still have a new in package set around here somewhere.

Century Limited

Bearcat
thanks for the replies. I have already put sight in place with new pin. I took it to the range and fired the 7 mags worth, paying attention that pin did not fall out. It stayed in place fine while shooting but when I took it out of case upon returning home the pin was half way out. I may try loctite and keep an eye on it.

the more I think about changing sights, the more I want to leave it as is and buy another Mark II in target form that has them on already. That seems like the logical way for me to get another magazine or two and better sights. If I am patient I have no doubt that I could get another at a fair price.

I have already spent nearly the $200 that I paid for the pistol on magazines for it. I may as well use them to feed another pistol.

btw, I added the bolt racker as I figured the wife or my daughter would pinch themselves and lose interest in it if they were to shoot it. My daughter loves the one on my buck mark.

eveled

Hawkeye
Does your gun have the Ruger emblem on the bolt?

You have a nice gun to shoot. It is a nice blend of the early standards and the MKII features. The engraved bolt is the icing.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I read several times if you put a slight bend in the sight pin, that will help from it coming out. I did this on the rear adjustable sight on a MK2 target pistol and it worked. They do make low profile ( LPA ) adjustable rear sights for the pencil barrel Rugers.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Latest posts