rarest Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Not a lawyer either, but I recall a smoothbore Redhawk being offered on RIA 10-15 years ago and several days before the auction, it disappeared. I presume they either figured it out or were informed by someone.
You know, the weird thing is that I have a folder on my computer called "OPS" (for Other People's Stuff) and I went looking in there just now for a pic of Steve's lightweight Blackhawk. I didn't find that pic, but I did find this one:

Smoothbore_357_Redhawk_501-15754_Affiliated_FL_28Jul2007.jpg

The filename is "Smoothbore_357_Redhawk_501-15754_Affiliated_FL_28Jul2007", so apparently it was not RIA after all, but Affiliated Auctions that had it. I thought it was a .357 but wasn't sure enough to say that in my original post yesterday, but it seems it was.

Chad's Reference of Ruger Firearms mentions a New Model Blackhawk 41 magnum BN-42 (6 1/2 barrel) SN 41-00042 as ". having a steel grip frame, wide spur hammer and trigger, high polish )color buff) finish select panels and a steel ejector rod housing". I have in my hands the same gun in a 4 1/2 inch barrel. Inside the box is a note from Rex King saying it is 1 of 2. I guess we now know where both are. There is a very clear difference in the colors of the frame and grip frame.

and another.....
SP101 KSP-182 SN 570-01009

This was bought NEW from Rody's in November 1988. It came with a very short rounded hammer (about a ½ inch tall ) with hole in the middle. As delivered this gun functions as a true double action. In the box is a "normal" hammer. In Wilson's Book, Ruger and his Guns pg 193, the last paragraph under the SP101 section Jay Jarvis remembers …."For a while some SP101's were made with a little round knob for a hammer spur. But that was awkward looking, and only a few went out to law enforcement--- another collector's item. We don't consider such small changes to be significant but collectors love them."

I believe this is one of those guns

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Wow! $1,700 for the 6" low back plus a rather ordinary 4" high back! I'd guess the 6" would be $1,100 of that, if not more.
Don't forget the 17.5% buyer's premium which would bring it to a minimum of $1997.50 if paid with cash.
Buyer's premium with a credit card would be 21% or $2057.
If the buyer had used Proxibid, another 3% would be tacked on for $2108.
Plus shipping.

Chad's Reference of Ruger Firearms mentions a New Model Blackhawk 41 magnum BN-42 (6 1/2 barrel) SN 41-00042 as ". having a steel grip frame, wide spur hammer and trigger, high polish )color buff) finish select panels and a steel ejector rod housing". I have in my hands the same gun in a 4 1/2 inch barrel. Inside the box is a note from Rex King saying it is 1 of 2. I guess we now know where both are. There is a very clear difference in the colors of the frame and grip frame.
This will not letter as having any special characteristics. The other probably won't either.

and another.....
SP101 KSP-182 SN 570-01009

This was bought NEW from Rody's in November 1988. It came with a very short rounded hammer (about a ½ inch tall ) with hole in the middle. As delivered this gun functions as a true double action. In the box is a "normal" hammer. In Wilson's Book, Ruger and his Guns pg 193, the last paragraph under the SP101 section Jay Jarvis remembers ….
another one that won't letter, no special note on the invoice

chet15

Hawkeye

So apparently were are looking at a matched pair of NM .41 Blackhawks with the same serial number, both without a "D" serial number? I remember the 6-1/2" being in a collection of subscription number 42's, several of which were color buffed and had steel Super Blackhawk grip frames on them, and several also with Zebrawood grip panels.

nope.... I was unclear..sorry.. the gun I have is a 103.... I described it in my email to you. Full serial number is 47-00103...same configurations and special characteristics as 41-00042.. when Rex's note says the 103 is 1 of 2 I'm sure the other is 41-00042.. Thinking about it now , it seems odd the only 2 steel frame guns would be so far apart. 47-00103 shipped on june 10, 1983 which is way earlier than noted in the "Reference". Be interesting to know when 41-0042 shipped

chet15

Hawkeye
It wouldn't be unusual for the 42 gun and 103 gun to be so far apart... the features they have are not stock... the subscribers customized them before they show a final ship date.... the color buff finish... Super Blackhawk grip frame and/or Zebrawood grip panels. Maybe that was the only two done like that.
Chet15

It wouldn't be unusual for the 42 gun and 103 gun to be so far apart... the features they have are not stock... the subscribers customized them before they show a final ship date.... the color buff finish... Super Blackhawk grip frame and/or Zebrawood grip panels. Maybe that was the only two done like that.
Chet15
The "unofficial" note in the box from Rex reads " 1of 2"

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I'm not into rare unless I stumble something I didn't know the status of and get it because I liked it. I got my KBN-455X at a gun show NIB a few months after it was made because I like stainless and back then only blued models were to be had.

Last edited: