rarest Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
OK Ruger experts, inspired by the recent posting of the 15" 44 OM Blackhawk

What are the rarest Ruger guns.... I remember reading about a 10/22 that left the factory with no rifling what other rarities are out there?
1 of 2 made, and 1 was cut down? Doesn't get any rarer than that.

That 10/22 with no rifleing should have been a production model. Smooth bore garden gun for shot shells. Assuming it cycled reliably.

contender

Ruger Guru
There are quite a few extremely rare, "1 of" or similar guns by Ruger out there. Heck, how about experimental guns,, marked X1 or X2, etc. John Dougan has a few "X" guns. Or how about the only factory cut-away FT .357 that "brassframe" owns & displayed at a few ROCS shows?

Yes,, LOTS of seriously rare Rugers out there,, outside the factory.

There are quite a few extremely rare, "1 of" or similar guns by Ruger out there. Heck, how about experimental guns,, marked X1 or X2, etc. John Dougan has a few "X" guns. Or how about the only factory cut-away FT .357 that "brassframe" owns & displayed at a few ROCS shows?

Yes,, LOTS of seriously rare Rugers out there,, outside the factory.
Probably some real rare ones still in the factory vault too

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
When we talk about Rare Collectable guns, we must remember that a gun which is an anomaly most often does not
mean that it is Rare or Collectable. JMHO

If you want to see some Rare Ruger's follow this link, check out all the shows. I think you will be amazed at what you see ;)
Also search this forum for the old Harrisburg Show threads.

KRW , JD owns the Amber gun.
Terry

Last edited:

eveled

Hawkeye
Until someone shows up with another one. I believe I have the only double struck SR1911
ruger004.jpeg

hittman

Staff member
Rarest is such a subjective term. Some of the guns mentioned here I'd consider obscure and the next guy may do cartwheels over them.

There's a lot of things that can define rare. Guns marked with "D" or "S" or "U" or " * ". Depending on your definition those are rare or just regular production guns with an oddity. The full auto guns are rare or maybe not if you have a certain license or worked in law enforcement. Guns exported and then brought back with the proof marks. And the list goes on and on.

Part of what makes great conversation and the hobby more fun and interesting,

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I think he is referring to the Ruger No. 1 made for John Amber, editor of Gun Digest. It was a 30 or 32" Creedmoor type rifle, tang sight amd in, if I remember, a 416 caliber wildcat cartridge of his design. Engraved, nice wood. It is pictured on the cover of one of the Gun Digest books. Don't remember which yesr.

Ride1949

Hunter
The first Single-Six to leave the factory was made in the tool room and shipped in late 1952 or early 1953 to Cole Agee, a well-known engraver of the day. The gun was embellished in a bold leafy scroll with a stippled background. It was plated with silver and gold and inscribed "To John T. Amber With the Compliments of Col. Ruger." That remarkable Single-Six was specially prepared so that it could appear on the cover of The Gun Digest. It was also the first factory-engraved Ruger revolver.

Along with a sense of urgency to produce and ship quantities of pistols and revolvers was the ever-persistent day-to-day process of running a growing business. There was material acquisition, off-site component fabrication, drawing, R&D, marketing, receiving, advertising, new-product development and the perfecting of those already in productionムthe list went on and on. Bill Ruger even found time to explore the idea of offering a cased and engraved version of his new Single-Six.
Engraved by Cole Agee, this historic Ruger Single Six enjoys the distinction of being the first engraved Ruger revolver shipped from the Red Barn. It is gold- and silver-plated and carries an inscription on its backstrap that reads: "To John T. Amber With The Compliments of Col. Ruger." The gun also graced the cover of The Gun Digest's 8th Edition in 1954.

Engraved by Cole Agee, this historic Ruger Single Six enjoys the distinction of being the first engraved Ruger revolver shipped from the Red Barn. It is gold- and silver-plated and carries an inscription on its backstrap that reads: "To John T. Amber With The Compliments of Col. Ruger." The gun also graced the cover of The Gun Digest's 8th Edition in 1954

Latest posts