rarest Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
"A pair of single sixes that have the same serial number. The dealer sent them back to the factory and Bill add an L to one and an R to the other. When ask one is for left and the other is for right."

Do you have a picture of those? Do you have any documentation? That's the sort of thing Chad needs to have for the RENE Guide!

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
1 of 1 known Pilorget adjustable sight 9mm Security Six and on the lowback frame

RDA94-Pilorget-152-28267-05.JPG

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The 9mm Pilorget Security Six started out as a .357 Mag which was used as a guinea pig for the Pilorget extractor. It was auctioned off about 15 years ago. I couldn't afford the price it went for, but I guess the buyer couldn't either since they re-listed it after no payment. That's when I got it, reckoning my second chance was a sign from God that he really wanted me to have it :D

Before the factory released it, they had to "adjust" the caliber marking on the barrel:

RDA94-Pilorget-152-28267-04.JPG

The box is marked as being experimental:

RDA94-Pilorget-152-28267-01.JPG

I also have one of the Speed Six Pilorget revolvers:

SS92-Pilorget-153-20715-04.JPG

The outer part of the extractor star is blue on the Speed Six whereas it is in the white on the Security Six:

SS92-Pilorget-153-20715-06.JPG

It was held by Engineering in the R&D archive and has these metal tags with it:

SS92-Pilorget-153-20715-07.JPG

Made in the 1970's, before barcodes, but by the time it was released (Jan 14, 2010), barcodes were in use, so the box and shipper both have barcoded labels:

SS92-Pilorget-153-20715-02.JPG

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Bob,
I knew that you had the SS-92 Pilorget gun but I did not know that it was you who scored on the True Prototype !! Congratulations... (y) I will admit that I was a bit crestfallen to have not been aware of that auction! ;)
I am still going through the paper work on mine. I bought the Pilorget that Chad mentioned in his RENE article #159-95813...:). My gun is in the same block as WAYNO'S, the 5th known gun.
I think Chad has developed a very interesting theory on these guns, enclosed below is his email to me.

Terry:
"Well, here's something I missed since the Pilorget has been here as long as it has. Just realized the recoil shield isn't scalloped. Yes, later frames are known to have been used, but I think this is the latest without the scallop. Then I realized the hammer and trigger are both blued chrome moly! The only way I can explain that is these guns were assembled long before they ever got the serial number and rollmarks.
At first I thought with such a high serial number, and being known in a couple different runs, these maybe aren't prototypes at all... at the very least, this high #159- gun was perhaps a cleanup of the Pilorget cylinder assemblies. Now it appears these may have all been made at the very same time, except this late batch obviously completed later".
Chad

I just tore down & cleaned both my standard SS-92 - #158-51761, (with scalloped recoil shield & SS trigger and hammer) & the Pilorget SS-92 - #159-95813, ( Non-scalloped recoil shield & blue trigger with polished sides.) When you have both cylinders out of the guns and compare them the design is obvious. Note these features and Chad's train of thought is spot on!
Not only the spring steel wire but the reaming and polishing of the cylinders. Pilorget was very specific on his chamber depth and finishing & provide a hand drawn sketch with dimensions. He informed Vogel that the 1st sample cylinder Ruger provided was reamed too deep. Case mouth to shoulder dimensions!
I'll get some better pictures later. Note - Of the five known guns...four are pictured in this thread !! ;)

FDetijbh.jpg

Last edited:
Those Pilorget modified revolvers are beautiful. I have an early 1980's vintage Handgun Tests magazine with a 9mm stainless steel Speed Six in it. They said that the revolvers were made for the Israeli Defense Force so they could use the same ammunition as the UZI. It made sense to me.

akmania

Single-Sixer
Y'all are a bad influence!! 😁😁
I went this morning and bought it.The man said he bought it new in 2015 and just shot it a couple of times, just wasn't for him.
How many of these 4 5/8" were made do y'all think?

Attachments

• IMG_3488.jpeg
    IMG_3488.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3487.jpeg
    IMG_3487.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3486.jpeg
    IMG_3486.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I went this morning and bought it.The man said he bought it new in 2015 and just shot it a couple of times, just wasn't for him.
Not sure how many but they're fairly hard to find right now unless you go on Gunbroker, where they go between 7-800 before fees. Nice find

I don't think so much...

As a distributor exclusive, I'm not finding them available. The 6-shot version is rarely available, so I think if this 10-shot variety was plentiful, folks would be buying them in place of the 6-shot. (then lose that awful front sight).

I cannot find a NIB 10-shot available today, nor the 6-shot version.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
The gun pictured has a case fired date 9 years ago. The same model is still on Rugers web site so ….. that's what I based my guess on that it's fairly common.

Those Pilorget modified revolvers are beautiful. I have an early 1980's vintage Handgun Tests magazine with a 9mm stainless steel Speed Six in it. They said that the revolvers were made for the Israeli Defense Force so they could use the same ammunition as the UZI. It made sense to me.
Some 9mm Speed Six's may have gone to the IDF, but I question the model was made for them. Many of us just wanted a carry size revolver that shot really cheap ammo, and Ruger responded. But the Pilorget model was made for the French government.

The gun pictured has a case fired date 9 years ago. The same model is still on Rugers web site so ….. that's what I based my guess on that it's fairly common.
Ruger is famous for leaving items on the website that are unavailable now, and in some cases were never available. And in all fairness, just cuz I don't see them available does not mean they are not plentiful elsewhere.

hittman

Staff member
I was at a local gun store yesterday and they bragged ( and jumped for joy ) about having IN STOCK a brand spanking new Super Redhawk. They said they were allowed this ONE …… first one available to them in 2 years,🖕

I don't think so much...

As a distributor exclusive, I'm not finding them available. The 6-shot version is rarely available, so I think if this 10-shot variety was plentiful, folks would be buying them in place of the 6-shot. (then lose that awful front sight).

I cannot find either the 10-shot available today, nor the 6-shot version.

Just sold a nib 3 digit single 10 on GB 1/21/24

06dilly

Single-Sixer
akmania, you did fantastic! These are not readily available, not in the 4 5/8" Model 8101. I have had a search turned on for them on GB for probably a year. The only ones I see are like a seller named TTP recycling their ad for one at $1499. Let me know if you need to unload it. Or if anyone has this model for $675, I'll buy it.

Golfer, yours was amazing (and went too cheap), but it was the 5 1/2" (Model 8100) if I'm not mistaken.

chet15

Hawkeye
I've got a Blued Single Ten in 5.5". The paperwork that came with it says it was a "prototype" donated to a charity auction. From what I understand the original Single Ten's were done in SS and were 5.5". Then Lipsey made them in SS and Blued in 4 5/8" but this is a Blued one in 5.5". The serial number lookup says it's a 4 5/8" model 8102 but it's not. I've not found another one.
-TomD

Have you sent me notes on that one?
Chet15

Latest posts