Rarely seen as a pair

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Caught these two playing on the maple tree. I see one every once in a while but this is the first time I have seen a pair.

PZSLXAnh.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually,, in the woods,, while hunting,, I see pairs often. Not always on the same trees,,, but traveling together, as they make their way to the different trees for food. Good catch on the picture! That's a hard one to get like that because they do move around a lot.

coach

Hunter
Ever since I got rid of the rotted stumps in my yard I haven't seen the pilliated woodpeckers much. Can't say I ever saw two at once. Interesting birds.

RSIno1

Hunter
Here in SoCal the most exotic bird is the Parrot. We have a few that visit every couple weeks or so. They are noisy.
https://pethelpful.com/wildlife/Wild-Parrots-Multiplying-in-Southern-California

coach said:
Ever since I got rid of the rotted stumps in my yard I haven't seen the pilliated woodpeckers much. Can't say I ever saw two at once. Interesting birds.
Here is a photo of one with a grub in it's beak, from the decayed stump of a dead Maple tree. Very interesting to watch. They are constant motion.

GNrtDmJh.jpg

BDM1

Single-Sixer
Those are great pics, i'm going to use the second one for my computer background if that is ok, thanks much for posting those!

rman

Bearcat
Neat pictures! We don't have pilated woodpeckers in my neck of the woods. We have red bellied, red headed, downy, hairy and flicker varieties in these parts. They are all smaller than yours.

Hi I was visiting my neighbor who is 90 years old and house bound and as we were looking out his front window there were 3 in the dying maples we got too watch for about 5 minutes he and I both being hunters agreed that neither of us had ever seen more than two at one time what a great picture

Gramps

Beautiful birds. I'd never seen one when I moved from ID to VT in the mid 1980s and was kinda astounded at how BIG they were. And the machinegun like racket they can make on a hollow dead tree. And the big piles of chips they leave at the base of that tree! Great pix!

Biggest relative we have here are Flickers, who annoy my neighbors by getting on their aluminum siding and searching for aluminum grubs. Maybe they're just sharpening their beaks....

They're year-round residents at our house . This is a common sight out the dining room window...

AJ7Fv3B.jpg

Only time I've seen more than one at a time was when mom was showing two fledglings around the back yard. I love their call ... reminds me of a Johnny Weismuller Tarzan movie.

I tell my grandkids than "pileated" is an Iroquois Indian word....means " really big "