Rambling range report - P90

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JimEG

Bearcat
I was able to get out and do some shooting yesterday. Put around 130 rounds through the P 90. As usual, it shot way better than I did… not a single issue. The Hogue grips that I put on it are really comfortable and make for a way better grip than the factory plastic ones. I wish that I would have put them on when I first purchased it a couple of years ago. I think that one of my friends I was shooting with yesterday is going to trade in his Taurus 1911 and get a P 90. He kept shooting mine and saying, "man, that is a nice shooting pistol". I'm not knocking the Taurus, but you P 90 owners know what I mean. It is just that he has issues with FTF, where the slide won't lock when the slide feeds the new round into the chamber. Is that called something about going into battery? Anyway, the P90 has never had that or any other problem. He also has a Bersa Thunder .380 that keeps improving as he is shooting it more. He has around 300 rounds through it now and the trigger has improved substantially. That pistol seems to be a really good value for the price. I am considering getting either a Bersa Thunder 9 UC or an SR9c. Then again, I shot my brother in law's LCP last week, and that made me rethink the whole issue of what to get for CC. I now know why so many people are buying them. It is a really nice shooting little pistol and its size makes it really easy to carry right in your pocket. But I digress, back to yesterday's shooting….

My nephew brought his G36, and I got to shoot a Glock for the first time ever. I've been overdue I guess. The recoil was pretty easily manageable for a gun that size shooting a .45 caliber 230 grain bullet. And I was able to get some 5" groupings from around 13 yards, which I think is plenty good enough for a compact pistol. I must say that the trigger was just fine. I really didn't know what to expect after reading some negative posts about Glock triggers. The travel did not seem to be too long, and the pull was much lighter than I thought it would be, and it had a smooth, crisp let off. I was pretty impressed with the pistol overall. I don't know why it only holds six rounds though, because the magazine looks like it should be a stagger stack one instead of a single stack, as wide as it is. For only an 1/8" in width difference I would want to go with the other compact, the G30 and get the extra firepower.

Now my nephew didn't like the G36 nearly as much as I did. It turns out that he had borrowed the pistol from a friend of his, because he was thinking about buying one for himself. After yesterday he said that he was going to try out the compact 9mm version G26 instead, and now he isn't completey sold on Glocks anymore. He had repeated problems with stove piping FTEs and he could not get any consistently good patterns with it. But I really don't blame the pistol because nobody else that shot it had any issues. He is a revolver guy and is used to shooting a Dan Wesson .357 with .38 special loads. As you know the revolver triggers are way different, and he did not understand the importance of a firm grip while shooting a semiautomatic pistol. We started calling him "Limpty" , which we thought was way funnier than he did. :D I guess that no 22 year old male would like that nickname.

I also had my FNP 9 along and put around 150 rounds through it. I am really happy with that pistol. My nephew really liked it too, but he is looking for a compact. I bought the stainless slide version last year after considering several different makes and models. I narrowed the choice to a composite made in the USA if possible, and that brought pretty much brought it down to the SR9, P 95, M&P 9, XD 9 and the FNP 9. I don't think that I would have gone wrong with any of them, but I do like the traditional hammer fired action and I think that that is why I went with the FNP. I could have saved some dough with the P 95, but the FNP 9 just felt like it fit my hand perfectly and it pointed completely naturally. Anyway, the rest is history. It shoots great, I haven't had a single FTF, FTE or any other problems with it whatsoever and I like the FNP 9 about as much as I like the P90, and I have rambled enough for one post. Happy Mothers Day and have fun shooting out there.

Jim

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
It is sad but Glocks will call you out if you are not holding correctly as they will stove pipe etc.. now mind you its not a bad gun for doing it as mine(g19) did it when my wife's little brother who is 9 years old fired mine and same thing bad grip on the gun.

leejack

Single-Sixer
Once upon a time, I had a couple of shooting buddies that were high dollar snobs. They invited me to a little informal 45 shootout (we've done this with other calibers in the past). I didn't own a .45acp. So I went to the store and the least expensive one in the counter was the P90. Being a Blackhawk owner, I bought it without knowing Jack about it.

I showed up with my P90 and they got a chuckle out of it. One called it a real "clunker". No need to mention what they had.

After the shootin was over and we reeled in the targets, I asked the boys if they had any questions. Astounded by the similarity in the 3 targets they remained quiet.

I politely told them that in the future, they could refer to my P90 as Mr. Clunker! They stayed quiet. :D

Lee

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
The Glock 36 is a great gun, but some of them are particularly sensitive to "Limp Wristing", and will stove pipe if not purchased properly. I'm guessing that your nephew was not holding the 36 tight enough. That is why no one else experienced the stove piping that he experienced.