Raising rabbits

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
In the thread on flour sack clothing I mentioned we bought rabbit food in fifty or hundred pound cloth sacks. My Dad and brother were rabbit breeders or pure bred rabbits, New Zealand Whites were the breed. These were show rabbits, and my brother had one or two grand champion rabbits. Grand Champion New Zealand White bucks would fetch five or six hundred dollars. This during and after World War II.

I got the culls as a kid, and I would kill them, dress them out, box them up and sell them to a nearby grocery store. Also sold the skins and feet for spending money.

I always liked the "brown" rabbits, which were New Zealand Reds. Dad or my brother got me a New Zealand Red buck to start me off raising rabbits. Around 1947 or so, my sister, just discharged from the Army, was taking a trip to Nashville by air. I wanted to go so I could fly, but Dad said we didn't have the money. So I sold my show rabbit to get the money for an airline ticket. I don't remember the sale price, but I had about ten dollars left over after buying my plane ticket. So I got to fly all the way from Memphis to Nashville on an American Airlines DC-3, which included a meal in flight!

It was on this flight I tried to see out the bottom of the toilet.

So my first airplane flight ended my show rabbit enterprise!

Bob Wright

caryc

Hawkeye
As I recall, wasn't there only one lucky foot on a rabbit? I think I recall it being the left hind foot. But it really wasn't so lucky for the rabbit.

Hey Bob,
This is my Granddaughter's flop eared rabbit, Granddaughter lives in Helena MT. She raised this rabbit in for 4H. She would get up at 5:30 or so to be able to do training before school. It will take and do commands same as a dog. Such as sit, stay walk with her. weave in and out of her legs and such.
Defiantly not the kind you make rabbit stew out of :)

1661272575713.png

caryc

Hawkeye
Hey Bob,
This is my Granddaughter's flop eared rabbit, Granddaughter lives in Helena MT. She raised this rabbit in for 4H. She would get up at 5:30 or so to be able to do training before school. It will take and do commands same as a dog. Such as sit, stay walk with her. weave in and out of her legs and such.

View attachment 5812
Now, that rabbit may have a lucky left hind foot.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Hey Bob,

View attachment 5812

She is just so disarmingly cute! Makes you want to put some kind of shield around her to keep her from the world.

When I think that, I catch myself and say "That's wrong. Let things come her way, but give her the strength and fortitude to overcome all."

May God bless her in every way!

Bob Wright

caryc

Hawkeye
She is just so disarmingly cute! Makes you want to put some kind of shield around her to keep her from the world.

When I think that, I catch myself and say "That's wrong. Let things come her way, but give her the strength and fortitude to overcome all."

May God bless her in every way!

Bob Wright
Once in a while DR. Pol will go to the county fair. Some of those little girls are fashionistas. They have to look just as good as their animal. Jim's grand daughter would qualify in that category. I'll bet she was wearing a nice pair of cowboy boots. Too bad your camera didn't get that.

Hey Bob,

View attachment 5812

Now that is wonderful and cute as can be! :)

contender

Ruger Guru
As a kid,, I too had some rabbits. I never tried to show or anything,, just enjoyed raising them.

Those memories,, coupled with the DARLING picture of Jim's Granddaughter is wonderful!

Latest posts