RAIN !!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Well, yesterday, Ashley had a Drs appointment and brought home a copy of the Tampa Bay Slimes; Now the only thing I look at in the paper (Either Tampa liberal rag) is the Comics and the rain fall in the weather reprt on the back page of the sports section.
Got curious , so with the help of my cheap calculator, I added up the total rainfall by month for the Year to date and then the same thing for 2014; I also added up the "Average" column too.
So here's the stats as of Friday 14 Aug 2015:

2015------------ 50.86 Inches

2014------------ 39.35 Inches

Ave. Annual --- 33.72 Inches

So, you can see, Year to date and last year we have been pretty WET.

stevemb

Hunter
Family just south of Tampa having trouble. Toilets won't flush, septics are saturated. Roads closed, etc.. Raining there right now, again. Just off phone with'em. Lots of flights delayed.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
stevemb said:
Family just south of Tampa having trouble. Toilets won't flush, septics are saturated. Roads closed, etc.. Raining there right now, again. Just off phone with'em. Lots of flights delayed.

It was pouring here today which is what prompted me to post. I'm North East of Tampa up near Zephyrhills. Our former neighbor told me that one year when several BIG hurricanes had hit Florida, the Roads leading to our properties were flooded and you had to park out on the County road and WADE into your place. Both his place and mine (side by side) were high and dry.
I have seen the newer 100 year flood zone maps and both places ARE above the 100 year level; across the road and in either direction, the places are all in the flood area !!

AJGUNNER

Hunter
About exactly the opposite out here in the West. My pastures have never been this brown and dry---what is left of the lush green grass now crackles when you walk on it. Forrest fires all around and plenty of smoke---but it does make some awesome sunsets. We were supposed to have some rain yesterday but all we got was just enough to make that wet cement smell before it was gone. I could hear it on a plastic carport roof but there was not even enough to run down and drip off the sides. Just about every water source is hurting----sure am glad my well is 600 feet and still trouble free---fingers crossed. :wink:

6gun

Hunter
Yesterday we finally got are first good rain in 4 mouths, was so dry here weeds were dyeing, this is our second year of drought in the NW.

coach

Hunter
While it hasn't rained a lot recently, this June was the wettest since tropical storm Agnes blew through 40 some years ago. Usually the grass is brown and dormant by now, but it's still green and growing.

tinman

Buckeye
I know that the numbers are off from what I got at the house but the standardized gauge at the airport has us at 36.5 inches for the year so far. I am 50 miles from that collection point and my gauges have this area over 40 inches. We had a very wet spring (16.96 inches in May alone) so we did get all of the lakes refilled, some of which had receded to as little as 10% of their capacity. There is still much to do because it takes a lot more time to recharge the aquifers that were drawn down during the drought. Still hoping for a wet winter..... 8)

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/?n=dmoprecip

6gun

Hunter
I just looked up our rain fall for the year, I live about 25 miles north of Seattle our total for the year is a bit over 17" :shock: 1.5" of that we got yesterday..... Who says it always rains in Seattle now?

My lawn is beyond brown, it's light tan closer to white than brown, I think it's beyond dormant and dead now, lot of my lawn died last year from the drought, I replanted this spring and it was nice and green till about the middle of may.

I gave up watering after it was turning brown even with watering it, our soil is real poor in this part of the country we don't have any top soil to speak of so watering is useless after a while.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Last night we got right at 1/4". That was the first rain in over a month,
(Denver has gotten HAMMERED, multiple times in the last week or so).

In the interest of full disclosure, by the end of June, we had more
precipitation this year, than we normally get in a full year.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
We could surely use some rain here. They are fighting one of the largest fires in the country, so far 290,000 acres consumed and <10% under control as I understand it. Rain would very much be appreciated by the over 500 fire fighters out there taking the risk.

Personally fighting large fires like that is counter productive. IMO. If I lived there I would have a large green way around the house if too dry then a rock garden. Save the homes, then let everything else burn. That is natures way.
gramps

coach

Hunter
6gun said:
My lawn is beyond brown, it's light tan closer to white than brown, I think it's beyond dormant and dead now, lot of my lawn died last year from the drought, I replanted this spring and it was nice and green till about the middle of may.
Assuming you get any rain this fall, it's actually better to plant seed in the early fall so the roots can develop better before the dry summer. Some newer varieties have deeper roots and are more drought resistant. Poor topsoil makes it tough though.