RA Compact vs Standard, help me decide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I've decided on a Ruger American CF as my next purchase. Leaning towards .308 but haven't ruled out a .243. (Replacing a seldom used Rem. 700, .30-06 for various reasons)

Deciding between the Standard or the Compact versions. Either will suffice for accuracy.

The gun will be used around the farm / home as a vermin, varmint and plinking rifle. Also as a coyote and deer rifle for hunting. Some factory ammo, but modest handloads will be the rule (like Remington reduced recoil).

Factors:
-volume (some non-hearing protected shooting when hunting)
-convenience (vehicle entry/exit, brush, tree stands)
-recoil (grandsons)

Love my RAR Compact in 17 HMR, but considering if that is the best package for a CF.

All relayed experience will be valued.

pisgah

Buckeye
Volume -- it'll be louder with the compact -- but that's not really saying much since even the muzzle blast from the longer standard barrel is enough to do harm to hearing after repeated exposure. If the only unprotected shots you'll take will be the rare one at game, you'll never notice the difference.

Conveninence -- hands down, a shorter rifle always wins.

Recoil -- there won't be a lot of physical difference, but the perceived recoil may seem greater because of the somewhat-increased muzzle blast of the shorter rifle.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The real issue is does the shorter length of pull work for you? RA Rimfire Compacts have an accessory stock insert available that gives a longer pull length but the centerfires don't have that option so be sure the compact stock fits.

If you are debating between the .243 and .308 consider a 7mm-08. It's great compromise.

grobin

Blackhawk
I agree with the above! 7 mm 08 would be great for the intended use. The only down side is that factory loads are limited to 120/140 gr. The best performing 168gr need to be hand loaded. You might want to consider the msa as they amplify as well as protect https://www.amazon.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-Electronic/dp/B00QV33ZRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525147672&sr=8-1&keywords=msa+hearing+protection.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Maybe a RAR in 300 BO would do the trick. I'm a big guy and have the compact it is a real handy gun with low recoil mine has a vortex venom red dot.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Even though I am not a small guy, I prefer compact rifles with shorter barrels because of the heavy wooded hunting that I typically do. I would say go the compact route - you will appreciate the shorter barrel and nimbleness. If you go .308, you can get the "managed recoil" loads from Hornady, FusionLite, and Remington for your grandson. I would say if you were getting it for a target rifle, I would go full size. Depending on what you are shooting at, it's unlikely the "target" will notice the difference in velocity from the shorter barrel. My .02.

black029

Single-Sixer
I'm 5'8" and the compact seems too short, and the full size is a wee little bit long. Of the 2 I prefer the standard, but wish I could get a 13 3/8" Remington LOP.

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
I recently picked up a RA compact in a 7mm-08. My length of pull is getting shorter as I get older (arthritis). You can tweak the length of pull with recoil pads and remove them quickly for grandson or wife. Great cartridge with light recoil and good accuracy. I hunt now with ear muffs that help with hearing and reduce muzzle blast sound, keeps ears warmer too.

rangerbob

Buckeye
You need to consider the RAR predator in 308. It has a full size stock, but with an 18" barrel. I'm 6'4" and it fit me fine. I gave mine to my son when he moved to Wyoming. Its available with a rotary mag#6974 and/or with an AI box mag #26974. Bob! :mrgreen:

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen!

This will be something of an experiment with the compact stock on a CF rifle. The compact .17 HMR makes for one heck of a woods / squirrel gun. The concept first popped up a couple years ago when shooting the BIL's AR with the adjustable stock shortened, then blossomed as I fondled the compacts at gunshows and shops. I see a Boyds stock in the near future of this gun, so if the compact CF concept doesn't work a full size can be ordered at that time.

I've had a 7-08 in the past and "liked" it, but thinking .243 right now. Will be ordering in a couple weeks, .308 is still a consideration...

Littlebluetruck

Bearcat
Hello,
I have the American compact in 243, and although very accurate it is pretty nasty to shoot with factory ammo (Winchester 100gr). It does not kick, but is so blasty it makes my face flinch when it goes off, something even the Marlin ported guide gun does not accomplish. The 243 can use slower powder, which does not always agree with short barrels. I did load up some ammo with 4064, and while not making the most power, per the manuals, they sure were easier on the ears.

Maybe it is just the Winchester ammo I tried.
Rich

jgt

Buckeye
A thirty caliber for the hand loader is one of the most versatile calibers out there. I have used a 30-06 for most of my hunting life and just adjusted the load for the target. I have the choice from 100 to 220 grain bullets in many shapes. I use 125's for what most people use .243's on and up to 220's for larger game. The accuracy can always be found using the chosen load and I am still amazed how this one rifle can shoot with so many other calibers to get the job done without compromise. My guess is the .308 is much the same.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the replies you guys!

Picked up the American in .308 today. Got home too late to shoot it, but the scope is mounted and ready to go tomorrow morning!

That little gun feels great in my hands and shoulders like a dream.

Chose the .308 due to versatility and bullet selection.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Compact.

The gun handles and shoots very nice. Low felt recoil and just under MOA @ 100 yards with Winchester 150 gr PP ammo and a crude bench.

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
treg, you might try Sierra 165 gr BTHP GameKing with RL15, BLC2 or Varget.
I got 5/8" groups from my whippy 18.5" barrel. No other bullet would come close. Federal match primers.
Very pleased.
Beruisis