Quick questions on Rifle Dies

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
gmaske":3rgzno4r said:
I was wondering about their case lube....Sounds like I might not want to try it. Thanks

Hi,

As w/ so many things from Lee, you've gotta RTFM and do it the way they tell you to unless you wish to be disappointed.

I've been using their lube for several years. Exactly as the directions say. Works great. Even turned a couple of .270 cases in some poorly sorted range brass "back into '06s" and only noticed a little extra resistance on the press handle.

Give it a try... if you don't like it, you're not out much.

Rick C

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
dmazur":1a4gcv54 said:
That rifle (Garand) not only has concerns about proper headspace, but proper choice of powder, as its long, thin operating rod isn't very tolerant of modern (slow) powders.

Hi,

Have you tried one of the adjustable gas ports? I've heard they take a lot of the "worry" out of using the "wrong" powders as well as lessening the beating on the rifle's parts even w/ the "right" powders? (I'm assuming one of the 4895s is still pretty much at the top of the "preferred" list?)

Rick C

gmaske

Bearcat
Ok, I got a strong hint/warning tonight. The Hornaday "One Shot" directions on the can said you could use a loading tray to spray your brass so I gave it a whirl. I started by squarting some up into my pristine brand new sizing die like the can said. Then I took twenty brand new cases and stood em up in the tray and hit all sides at a 45 degree angle. Then I went to town and everything went smooth as silk. So, I says to meself, lets finish out the bag of fifty I had started. Stacked them in the tray and hit em with the One Shot same as before. Everything started out ok but about five cases in it starts to get a bit sticky! Hmmmm? About three of those and I stop and take all of the remaining cases and invert them in the tray and hit em again with the One Shot. Off we go again and no problem! Lesson learned....No More Tray! I'll lay em out on a rag next time and shoot, roll, shoot. I'm just glad they were new shells and there wasn't much real sizing going on. I finished out the evening by checking length, beveling the mouths, and priming.
For an old guy that's almost as good as sex was once upon a time... :shock: :wink:

dmazur

Bearcat
Have you tried one of the adjustable gas ports? I've heard they take a lot of the "worry" out of using the "wrong" powders as well as lessening the beating on the rifle's parts even w/ the "right" powders?

Not to hijack this thread...perhaps "thread veer"?

Yes, I have both types of adjustable gas cylinder lock screw (aka gas nut), and I prefer the McCann to the Schuster. They aren't magic -- you have to start full open (or largest orifice) and work smaller until you get reliable cycling for that powder/bullet combination.

I have mine set for 46gr of Varget and 150gr Hornady FMJ bullets, but I'll have to go through the procedure again if I decide to change loads.

Back to general concerns about rifle reloading...