Questions about a sporterized Swedish Mauser

Help Support Ruger Forum:

barrett93

Single-Sixer
Well I traded for this sporterized Swedish Mauser and I'll have to say that I'm impressed. Great bore and muzzle, Williams rear peep sight, Schnabel fore end with the finger grooves and an ultra smooth action.

Questions though... Has anyone heard of a Bold trigger group? This rifle has one installed. All the other parts match, including the stock. Which leads me to this question: has anyone ever seen the original stocks refinished and made this nice? It has the original buttplate and stock disk. The serial number is even inside the forearm.

Let me have any info that y'all can give me! Does anyone else have one sporterized like this or was this likely a one of a kind job?

image.jpg

sm2.jpg

sm3.jpg

sm4.jpg

sm5.jpg

That's a nice looking gun. Is that a serial number on the bolt also? I don't have any clue about the questions you're asking but it does look well put together.

pete44ru

Hunter
barrett93 said:
Well I traded for this sporterized Swedish Mauser and I'll have to say that I'm impressed. Great bore and muzzle, Williams rear peep sight, Schnabel fore end with the finger grooves and an ultra smooth action.

Questions though... Has anyone heard of a Bold trigger group?

Which leads me to this question: has anyone ever seen the original stocks refinished and made this nice?
It has the original buttplate and stock disk.
The serial number is even inside the forearm.

Let me have any info that y'all can give me!
Does anyone else have one sporterized like this or was this likely a one of a kind job?

Bold triggers for the 96 & 98 Mausers are carried by both MidwayUSA & Brownell's, and are a simple replacement for the military triggers - I would WAG that Bold made them after the Timney trigger patent expired.

It's likely a one-off sporterization; but whoever did the work surely knew his business - like the correct angle of the bottom of the PG (which, in classic rifles should point directly to the top/heel of the stock), the correctly-proportioned Schnabel, and the overall trim stock lines/thickness.

Custom/sporterized guns are surely made for one person, but one as well done as that one just as surely has a much wider appeal - congrats on making an astute trade !

I know that the Kimber firm that was once in Oregon made many sporters on Swedish Mausers at a certain point, but I believe they replaced the military stocks, so this isn't one of theirs.

As noted, this was probably just done by a small shop or a talented amateur. And they done GOOD!

toysoldier

Hunter
Nice job, but if no scope was going to be mounted, turning down the bolt wasn't necessary. I don't think a lot of folks understand that military bolt rifles were meant to be operated with an open palm. I've handled German, Turkish, and Swedish Mausers, and all worked best when open-palmed.