Question Regarding NM Blackhawk Cylinder & Frame Length

Help Support Ruger Forum:

For NM Blackhawk 357Mag, has the length of the cylinder and the length of the cylinder frame remained the same from early production models up to current production models? I reason I ask is because just looking as pics of new Blackhawks, it seems there is more of a gap between the front of the cylinder and the front portion of the cylinder frame.

As a side note, it "looks" as if there is even less of the unsightly gap on Vaqueros. It could be that photos are playing tricks on my eyes, but wondering if anyone had a newer production 357Mag to compare with.

NikA

Buckeye
As far as I know, all large frame NM Blackhawks in a given caliber are the same nominal dimensions, within manufacturing tolerances. There are mid-frame .357 NM Blackhawks, e.g. the distributor convertible models, that are sized the same as the current production Vaqueros.

I have not measured the newer , ( newest models) but here is a picture from the Bill Ross book of Rugers...shows the early differences.......drawn by our late friend Roland Kirsch for Bills' book....

ERkA86nl.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
All NM large frame Blackhawks are the same size regardless of caliber. But the NM FLATTOP BLACKHAWKS introduced in 2005 are made on the mid-size frame (except the 41 & 44 Mag flattops), which are the same size frame as the New Vaqueros. So you can have a NM 357 Blackhawk on the mid-size frame or the large frame. Of course the large frame will have the large space in front of the cyl because cylinders are the same length but larger in diameter for the large frame.