Question for the Colt guys....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
I've got a 1911A1 Colt that I've had for many years...and for just as many years, I've yet to possatively identify it, as far as it's history...or to put it another way, just "what" it is....other than it is obviously "some sort" of forgen contract gun.
In other words, none of the Colt references that I've ever found, seems to (exactly) fit-in with the various details on this particular gun.

Stuff that I know and am familiar with:
It is definently an "A1"....meaning that it has the 1911A1 "relief cuts" in the frame.
Left side of the slide is marked "COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT USA" with a series of (smaller) patten dates below that.
The "dancing mule" on the slide is on the right side and placed to the right of the words "COLT automatic calibre .45". To the left of all that is "POLICIA FEDERAL", which is underlined and in large letters that match the word "COLT" in size.
The serial number of the frame is also stamped into the top of the slide, just aft of the ejection port, and in very-small digits (about the size of the "patten" dates on the left side, only stamped more-shallow).
It has the (early)1911AI wide-spur hammer, not the longer/curved 1911 hammer, and not the later "skinny" hammer.
It has the shorter "AI" trigger and arched MS housing with a lanyard-loop.
The thumb safety has the small thumb-pad, like a 1911.
All of the "usual" surfaces are checkered, nothing is "serated".
It is blued, not parkerized.....but could have been at one time.
All the finish-wear on all the effected surfaces seems to "match".
The only part that don't look to be "original to the gun" is the barrel and bushing. The barrel is parkerized, and marked "HS"....which is obviously a USGI part, as-is the parkerized bushing.

Stuff that don't fit with the references I've found,and/or is confusing to me:
There is no sign of it ever having a "crest" marking as-is usualy found on "contract" guns.
The serial number does not begin with the traditional "C", and is in the same type/size of script that Colt used on the earlier Model-M pocket automatics.
It has a 5-digit serial number (38XXX). According to all of the litterature I've found, THAT serial number range indicates that it should be amoungst the first 38-Supers, NOT a 45ACP.
Aint no "importer" markings of any type, any where.

I realize that given the age of this thing, there's a good chance that it has been refinished once or twice, probably rebuilt, and maybe even had more parts changed around than just the barrel. To me though, none of that would account for it's "unusual" markings, nor for the fact that the frame and slide are correctly numbered together (AND in an "incorrect" serial-number sequence). That, and it's obvious that the gun at some time or another, belonged to the "Fedaralies" of some spanish-speaking country.

So....anyone have a clue...or care to offer-up a guess as to what this thing is....and/or how it came to have a 38-Super serial number?

Thanks for any insight.

DGW

SAM2

Bearcat
Your 1911 could be one of 10,000 made for the Argentine Army in 1927. The production period was from July 28, 1927 to February 16, 1928. Some of these were later reconditioned in Argentina for the federal police. An order of 5,320 Hartford Colts were made in 1933 for federal and capitol city police. I don't know enough to distinguish between the two but if you look at the link below, you may get lucky.

Look here for more info
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=68064

buscadero

Single-Sixer
The "dancing mule" :shock: on the slide is on the right side and placed to the right of the words "COLT automatic calibre .45".

Yup!

DGW1949

Hunter
SAM2 said:
Your 1911 could be one of 10,000 made for the Argentine Army in 1927. The production period was from July 28, 1927 to February 16, 1928. Some of these were later reconditioned in Argentina for the federal police. An order of 5,320 Hartford Colts were made in 1933 for federal and capitol city police. I don't know enough to distinguish between the two but if you look at the link below, you may get lucky.

Look here for more info
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=68064

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I am somewhat familiar with the Argentine contract Colts, but I certainly aint an expert.
The link you provided does suggest that my gun could have been one of the ones that were manufactured stateside by Colt between 1927-1928....although the markings on the right side of the slide are wrong, meaning that the "EJERCITO ARGENTINO" and "COLT CAL.45 MOD.1927" are not present, nor is the crest that is mentioned. All that is on that side are the usual Colt (commercial) markings plus "POLCIA FEDERAL".
I did however take note that that particular run of pistols did use "italic" numbers on top of the slide that matched the frame's serial number, as does mine. Due to some sort of typing error in the linked-information though, it is not clear to me whether that particular run of pistols used the more-tradional "C" serial number prefix or not....which mine clearly does not have.

Thanks again.....I'll keep digging.

DGW

SAM2

Bearcat
After thinking about it for a day or so, I am beginning to understand your dilemma. Yours doesn't match those from the 1927 or 1933 or any other of the contracts that have been so well documented. I still think it is Argentine but without the crest to the left of "POLICIA FEDERAL" and a "C" prefix serial number in the proper sequence, who knows? It is obvious that you have done your homework and have just about exhausted the known resources but there must be others like yours out there somewhere. Can you post some photos?

DGW1949

Hunter
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
It sounds like a scarce variation no doubt. Your dancing mule is suppose to be a "prancing pony". :D

You are right....yeah, it is in fact, the "Colt pony", and complete with the arrows. I just threw-in the "dancing mule" comment as an attempt at humor.

I hope it didn't hurt anyone's feelings.

DGW

DGW1949

Hunter
SAM2 said:
After thinking about it for a day or so, I am beginning to understand your dilemma. Yours doesn't match those from the 1927 or 1933 or any other of the contracts that have been so well documented. I still think it is Argentine but without the crest to the left of "POLICIA FEDERAL" and a "C" prefix serial number in the proper sequence, who knows? It is obvious that you have done your homework and have just about exhausted the known resources but there must be others like yours out there somewhere. Can you post some photos?

I'm leaning towards the Argentine thing too....and have about decided that it is the product of an arsenal repair that involved spare replacement parts that came from the Colt factory along with the guns they sold.....maybe?.
Still though, even if that much is true, I have to wonder how the "Argentine" markings came to be left off of the slide, which in turn, makes me wonder at what point should they have been put on to start with. Did Colt apply them pre-delivery, or did Argentina apply them once they arrived in country?.....I dunno, none of the references that I've seen mention that part.

I can't post photos but I'll take some soon and send them to you if you'd like. Maybe you'll see something I don't.

DGW

SAM2

Bearcat
My first thought was that your 1911 consisted of a Sistema frame with a Hartford slide but the matching serial numbers make that idea preposterous in my mind. What "the experts" tell us is that Argentina placed several large orders for the Hartforn Colts but also imported Hartford Colts for police use from time to time as needed. We have also been told that Sistema Colts made for police and non-national government agencies did not always have a crest. If so, why not for the Hartford Colts?
A horse is a horse, of course, of course, ............ If only that horse could talk.

DGW1949

Hunter
I too have thought about the possability of a mixed frame and slide. In fact, your idea of a mis-matched frame and slide is what I was thinking earlier when I mentioned that it's likely that this particular gun was subject to an arsenal-repair that involved some Colt (made) replacement parts. To be more specific.....that wouldn't only explain the odd serial number, but might also account for it not having the 1911 hammer that is characteristic of "production" Sistema pistols...and maybe(?) even why it lacks a crest and agency ID markings. (I'm saying "agency" here but maybe a better word would be "military", "branch", or "department"?).

One thing is for certain....whatever it is, it aint a run of the mill "Sistema". That, and it's a very good-shooting gun, always has been. I suspect that the realatively new "HS" barrel has a lot to do with that though......which for-sure wasn't installed by a "Policia Federal" armorer. :lol: .

DGW