Question for SR556 owners...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
Thinkin' about gettin another AR...Narrowed it down to the Ruger SR556 or the Sig Sauer 516...For those of you who own a Ruger SR556 and either currently own or have owned other AR's...How does the Ruger stack up?...In your opinion(s), what makes the Ruger a better rifle, or what are the things you would improve on it? Thanks.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
I have no experience with the SIG516, though it looks good. But as far as the SR-556's compared to other AR's I'm assuming your referring DI AR15's. Well first off the SR operates with a piston system and does keep out about 95% of the fouling that DI AR's dump into BCG and upper and lower receivers. The SR's also don't transfer the extreme heat to BCG caused by the gases. Now I'm not knocking the traditional DI system, it works, just that the SR's piston system is evolution. Ruger built the SR's solid as a rock. But with the piston system also comes some weight, Ruger also uses a medium/heavy barrel which also adds weight compared to a DI carbine. Ruger introduced the SR-556c to address the weight issue, it is 1/2lb lighter and a little shorter than the standard SR-556. Both SR's are a great choice, DI's are good also but I really hate the cleaning that they require. I think you are on the right track in choosing a piston AR.

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
Yes sir, I am goin' with another piston...I really like the Sig with the exception of the ambidextrious magazine release...I hate that...I feel like they should just make 2 different rifles...a righty and a lefty...Any idea if Ruger is gonna sell uppers?...I've also been salivatin' over the LWRC but it'll be awhile before I'll have that kinda money to spare...

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
I'm really hoping we'll see uppers from Ruger soon, looks like they are coming out of the stone age with all the new firearms they have released in the last couple years, so lets keep our fingers crossed.

The SIG is a good looking rifle, the only thing that I really don't like is how the piston system disassembles, screws out ??? .

I do thing Ruger has the best and strongest piston system currently available. Love how they designed the piston disassembly. The regulator is also the best out there.

paul24

Bearcat
I sent it back last week due to a terminal failure due to carrier tilt. The buffer retaining pin fell out after the buffer tube wore down far enough to fail holding the retaining pin. This is in six months. I am waiting to hear what Ruger has to say. I personally love this weapon but am very disappointed as it has been so well advertised by them that they have corrected this problem. If there is a way to post pic's here I will show them to you.
How can the 6.8 not fail with more power if it is the same system???