Question for 1911 Gurus

Help Support Ruger Forum:

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
Is it normal that I can't release the slide with the magazine?but without I can.

I haven't notice this before when doing my dry fire practice. :?

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
I must have been pulling the hammer back while dry firing.
My bad I think I just answered my own question.

dusty3030

Bearcat
The magazine follower is what engages the slide stop. It is normal that the slide stop would be hard to press down and that the slide would not go forward using the slingshot method if an empty mag is in place. This is true of any semi auto pistol that locks to the rear when empty.

loaded round

Hunter
According to Ruger, that device is a slide stop not a slide release. Most Ruger SR1911's will not allow you to release the slide with an empty magazine with the slide stop. I found that out several years ago with my new SR1911 and conversations with Ruger customer service after several hours of frustration.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
D_Gunner said:
Is it normal that I can't release the slide with the magazine?but without I can.

It's normal. When the magazine is empty, it's pushing up on the slidestop lug. When you press down on it, you're pushing against the magazine spring.

According to Ruger, that device is a slide stop not a slide release

Ruger is mistaken. Of course it's a slide release...among other things.

http://rangehot.com/not-just-slide-stop/

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
1911Tuner said:
D_Gunner said:

It's normal. When the magazine is empty, it's pushing up on the slidestop lug. When you press down on it, you're pushing against the magazine spring.

1911tuner,
Ruger built the gun, named it and sells it, they can call it anything they want to. :<)
Blackie

DGW1949

Hunter
SR1911SHOOTER said:
1911Tuner said:
D_Gunner said:

1911tuner,
Ruger built the gun, named it and sells it, they can call it anything they want to. :<)
Blackie

Yes they did, and yes they can...but as 1911tuner suggested, that don't keep it from being what it is.
In other words, if were merely a "slide stop" as Ruger says, it wouldn't need (nor have) the external-extension built on as a means to "release" the slide from the "stopped" position when it's appropriate to do so.

I'm not trying to be terminology-snob here...just saying that some folks may not know a whole lot about the gun they use, and that in this case in particular, Ruger's tossing about incorrect information aint helping them learn.

No offense meant.

DGW

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
There are a good many people who insist that because it's called the slidestop, that's its only function...but it has five functions, if we ignore the takedown operation.

If it wasn't meant to release the slide, it would've been machined flat instead of the way it is.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
D_Gunner said:

D_Gunner.... John Moses Browning designed the slide stop on his improved .45 Auto, soon to be adopted as the Model 1911, to act as a slide stop, slide release, disassembly pin and, the means (via a link) by which the barrel locks into & unlocks from the slide. A trait of Browning----to have a part serve multiple functions----became a guiding principle of, among important designers, William B. Ruger.

Numerous makers supply magazines for the 1911. They, along with the 1911's available from many manufacturers, are not all equal. Parts and fit-up of guns vary. While this isn't the subject at hand, a few notes on magazines may apply.

My preference is for a steel magazine follower, and not just any steel follower. A proper steel follower lasts nearly forever. A plastic follower, on the other hand, tends to wear from the follower lifting the slide stop (i.e., "stop, catch, latch") when the magazine is empty. To depress the the slide catch on an empty magazine strains a plastic follower even more. While this may not be correct procedure, it is bound to happen; pistol & magazine must be built to endure a bit of rough handling.

Try this simple "test:" Depress the front of magazine follower; the follower should move downward. If the FOLLOWER nosedives in the magazine, chances are the slide catch won't budge. Overall, it is better to release an empty magazine before depressing the slide catch.

I don't care about the semantics. The object is to understand what is happening.
David Bradshaw

rattlegun

Bearcat
Ruger and Colt have it right. It's called a Slide Stop and here is way. Parts are named from the operator/user POV, then in order of function it always has to stop before it can release.

Reference Ruger and Colt owner manuals.

In the future I highly recommend the tuner start providing references instead of trying have people accept him as an expert because he has been proven wrong many times.

DGW1949

Hunter
rattlegun said:
Ruger and Colt have it right. It's called a Slide Stop and here is way. Parts are named from the operator/user POV, then in order of function it always has to stop before it can release.

Reference Ruger and Colt owner manuals.

In the future I highly recommend the tuner start providing references instead of trying have people accept him as an expert because he has been proven wrong many times.

I've noted that he often does provide references, and for that matter, photos too.
I'm also of the mind that he's probably forgotten more about the 1911 platform than most folks will ever care to learn about it...including many of today's manufactures whom would have you believe that they've copied it, but in fact have not.

By contrast, I don't remember the "he has been proven wrong many times" which you referenced in your (rather insulting) post...or anything that you've put forth during discussions of the 1911 platform yourself which would indicate to me that you are in any form or fashion, qualified to decide who's an expert around here and who aint.

Just sayin' that (to paraphrase your own post), "In the future I highly recommend" that if you aint got nothing other than thinly-disguised slander to add to a discussion, then don't.

DGW

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
rattlegun said:

Proven wrong...when...exactly?

Well...I've only been dancin' with Johnny's toy for about 50 years now...so what would I know? Right?

And you don't need references to determine the functions of the slide stop. All you have to do is look at it to see what it does.

To wit:

It's a slide stop that keeps the slide from running off the front of the frame.

It's a slide lock that holds the slide open when the magazine is empty.

It's a slide release that returns the slide to battery when it's pressed down after a slidelock reload. Hint: That's why it protrudes from the frame and has a non-skid surface machined into it.

It's a camming surface that works with the lower barrel lug to get the barrel into the slide.

It's an anchor for the link to use to get the barrel out of the slide.

It's a takedown pin.

Go and look. It ain't rocket science.

rattlegun

Bearcat
1911Tuner said:
Proven wrong...when...exactly?

Well...I've only been dancin' with Johnny's toy for about 50 years now...so what would I know? Right?

And you don't need references to determine the functions of the slide stop. All you have to do is look at it to see what it does.

To wit:

It's a slide stop that keeps the slide from running off the front of the frame.

It's a slide lock that holds the slide open when the magazine is empty.

It's a slide release that returns the slide to battery when it's pressed down after a slidelock reload. Hint: That's why it protrudes from the frame and has a non-skid surface machined into it.

It's a camming surface that works with the lower barrel lug to get the barrel into the slide.

It's an anchor for the link to use to get the barrel out of the slide.

It's a takedown pin.

Go and look. It ain't rocket science.

Delusional. Classic case...

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Delusional. Classic case...

How is it delusional? The slidestop does all the things that I listed. This is a matter of design and mechanics...not opinion or belief.

Go look.

rattlegun

Bearcat
rattlegun said:
Ruger and Colt have it right. It's called a Slide Stop and here is why. Parts are named from the operator/user POV, then in order of function it always has to stop before it can release.

1911 Tuner,

You avoided quoted me on the above so I listed it which is the most important part of the post that you ignored. The section that contains the truth you are avoiding that put the stake in the heart of your unknowingness.

Look up Delusional. Now your game playing that goes with your illness has started. :D :D

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
rattlegun said:
rattlegun said:
Ruger and Colt have it right. It's called a Slide Stop and here is why. Parts are named from the operator/user POV, then in order of function it always has to stop before it can release.

1911 Tuner,

You avoided quoted me on the above so I listed it which is the most important part of the post that you ignored. The section that contains the truth you are avoiding that put the stake in the heart of your unknowingness.

Look up Delusional. Now your game playing that goes with your illness has started. :D :D

I didn't avoid anything. I know that it's called a slide stop. It's always been called a slide stop. Browning named it that in the patents. My point is that that's not all it does, and...for the people who insist that it's not supposed to be used to release the slide...to explain that releasing the slide is part of its intended function.

If it were nasmed for every function it has, it would be called...

The slide stop slide lock slide release barrel cam link anchor takedown lever.

As for the part about it having to stop the slide before it can be released...that's the "lock" part of its function. The "stop" part is in the other direction. It keeps the slide from flying off the frame when it runs forward.

As for my "unknowing" point to any bad information that I've given here.

I've been wrenchin' on these old 1911 pistols since 1965, and my main focus has been turning the malfunctioning delinquents into reliable, bet your life weapons.

So, please...show me where I've erred so I can call all those people who brought their guns to me and apologize...at least those who haven't died of old age.

dakota1911

Buckeye
In 1911 land I have found with Ruger, Colt, SA, RIA, S&W, Kimber...... and well a lot of others..... that with an empty mag the slide will not drop when you press the slide release/stop or whatever. Hit the mag release and drop the mag even a bit... you do not have to drop it out the pistol.... and the slide will drop.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Just to add information from my experience, on my Rugers, Colt, Ria.... and "Yes Rev", I did it, Range Officer, (You were right, nice gun. I got it in Stainless), I can close the slide on an empty Clip (I'm fishing now) by just depressing the slide stop. Some are easier than others, I don't drop the slide on an empty chamber, I usually just pull the slide back a hair, thumb the release and manually lower the slide. Thank you 1911 Tuner for all great info.