Question about restoring an old Springfield 1903

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chris Brines

Bearcat
A friend of mine's grandfather just passed away, leaving him with a Springfield 1903 that was used in Korea (he thinks). He was asking me if I think it is possible (or practical) to have it inspected and/or even "re-commissioned" to be ready for use. He wanted to buy a 30.06 a few months back but couldn't afford it.

I didn't know what to tell him, I just told him I'd try to find out. It is an old gun and hasn't been fired in MANY years, that I do know. And it is a Springfield 1903 bolt action 30.06.

Also if anyone can give me a little summary of the capabilities and ballistic advantages of a 30.06 (something I know little about), that would be awesome too.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Assuming it's not what's called a "low number" Springfield with defective heat treatment, it should be safe to shoot.

Used in Korea? Sounds like it might possibly be an 03A3 version. :? :? :? :?

Springfield parts are available, and most aren't terribly expensive.

More details would help, as would a picture of the thing. Also, please tell us any markings on it, and the serial number.

Otony

Blackhawk
"There ain't much you can't fix with three hundred dollars and a .30-06!"

Old song that, but telling. An '06 is good for virtually everything in North America. Not the best choice for varminting perhaps, but it can even do that in a pinch. Without getting long winded, he is well armed.

As for restoring the rifle, you simply have not given us enough information. Is it in poor shape? Was it sporterized? Is it an 03 or an 03A3? More details are needed to answer you accurately.

gatling

Blackhawk
It is one of the best calibers ever made. Accurate, powerful, flat shooting, reasonably priced ammunition, reasonably priced brass, and easy to reload for any purpose with bullets ranging from 100 to 220 grains. And the 1903 started it all.

Chris Brines

Bearcat
Yes the SN starts with 147 and has 3 more digits, and I am guessing that according to what I'm reading here:

http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-81770.html

It has defective heat treatment.

It says this:

For Springfield Armory it is serial number below around 800000. There is no definite precise number because some older single heat treated receivers were held back and ended up with serial numbers above 800000 (see below). For Rock Island Arsenal it is below 285507.

He's still looking for a reasonably priced 30.06 if this one turns out to be nothing more than a family heirloom. Would you say this is a good deal?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/946497194/Springfield_1903_Sporter_30_06.htm

wwb

Hunter
Chris Brines said:
He's still looking for a reasonably priced 30.06 if this one turns out to be nothing more than a family heirloom. Would you say this is a good deal?

A "sporterized" 03 is too much of a gamble unless you can shoot it before you buy it. Some are superb, some are awful, and most are so-so. Tell him to start shopping for a Ruger American in .30-06; I have yet to hear anything bad about them (except that they are hard to find). Street price is typically $350 - $375. Add a couple hundred for a good scope.

Chris Brines

Bearcat
wwb said:
Chris Brines said:

A "sporterized" 03 is too much of a gamble unless you can shoot it before you buy it. Some are superb, some are awful, and most are so-so. Tell him to start shopping for a Ruger American in .30-06; I have yet to hear anything bad about them (except that they are hard to find). Street price is typically $350 - $375. Add a couple hundred for a good scope.

Thanks, and yeah I just noticed the "no returns" on this GA ad. I wouldn't buy a gun online unless I had the option to return it for at least a few days.

I did find a few Ruger Americans for roughly $330 with synthetic stocks. How is the recoil on a sythetic stocked 30.06? I shot a 270 Winchester a few weeks ago with a synthetic stock and lets just say it had quite a kick.

wwb

Hunter
Chris Brines said:
I did find a few Ruger Americans for roughly $330 with synthetic stocks. How is the recoil on a sythetic stocked 30.06? I shot a 270 Winchester a few weeks ago with a synthetic stock and lets just say it had quite a kick.

Recoil is pure science..... mass of the ejecta (bullet + gas), velocity of the ejecta, and mass of the rifle are the only things that matter. Heavier bullet, larger powder charge, higher velocity and lighter rifle all make for greater recoil. Synthetic stock or not, it's the total weight of the rifle that matters.

PERCIEVED recoil is a whole 'nuther deal... shooter position, stock shape, recoil pad characteristics, and tolerance for recoil all come into play. What one person finds unpleasant won't bother someone else at all.

Major T

Blackhawk
If he is going to buy new, Ruger American is a good choice. For about the same money, he should be able to find something used in a pawn shop or on a used rack at some LGS especially after the season at about tax time.

The item on GA may well be another low number gun, and the money wasted. jack

Use of an '03 in Korea is VERY unlikely unless it was an '03A4 sniper rifle, which will be recognizable by the fact that it has no reciever/front sights and has a scope or at least the attachments for a scope. And few of those were actually used then, although some were still in service.

GENUINE Springfield sniper rifles are valuable. But there are lots of "replicas" and fakes out there, so you need to do your research before buying.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mike Armstrong said:
Use of an '03 in Korea is VERY unlikely unless it was an '03A4 sniper rifle, which will be recognizable by the fact that it has no reciever/front sights and has a scope or at least the attachments for a scope. And few of those were actually used then, although some were still in service.

GENUINE Springfield sniper rifles are valuable. But there are lots of "replicas" and fakes out there, so you need to do your research before buying.
The real 03A4s had the receiver stamping offset so it wasn't covered by the scope base. That's kinda hard to fake.

1903A403.jpg

eveled

Hawkeye
Snake is that your sniper rifle? Very nice piece of history there. I would love to shoot it, Ed

Latest posts