Question about magazines for the RAR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
I have a RAR and bought 2 10 round Mini 30 Ruger mags. I had trouble inserting them into the magwell. They seemed to be wider than the 5 rd. that came with the rifle. I used a micrometer to measure them and with all the angles it was difficult to get an accurate reading. The 2 mags are 40 to 50 thousands wider than the 5 rd. Is this a normal problem and is anyone else dealing with this? Can this be fixed and if so whats the best way to do this? Thanks

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
Yes sir that's why I bought them. They are wider even without the cartridges in them. Just wondering if there might be a known problem with the manufacturing of them.

No good suggestions here. I'm not a 'Mini 14/30' guy.
I have found a tendency for AR polymer mags to be 'fatter' than most of the metal mags but finding 'fat' metal mags is unusual.

Please don't take this wrong, but the rifle IS chambered for 7.62x39 correct? I'm not questioning your knowledge, just trying to remove any/all extraneous factors. I watched a gunshop employee pull a rifle out of the box and hand it to a customer. Box said XYZ caliber and rifle said ABC caliber. Someone miss-matched boxes after checking serial numbers in inventory??

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
Yes sir
7.62 X 39
The 5 round mag works great. The two 10 round Ruger mags are the problem.
Thanks