Problem with leading and key holing in 22/45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drmike5000

Bearcat
Hello,

I'm new here.

I just got a Mk III 22/45 and took it out last night for the first time. Granted, I wasn't using the best ammo, because the best isn't available. I was using TulAMMO brass maxx, and Aguila.

The gun started out with a few feeding issues, which I figured normal for a new gun, and eventually did get better.

The groups were good at first. After 150 rounds, it started key holing. I knew the bullets were tumbling. I even had sort of a back fire once or twice. I tried to snake the barrel, but the brass weight wouldn't go down.

Long story short, I took it home and after several tries and quit a bit of pushing I passed a brush through and quite a bit of lead came out. I could see it caked in a rim around the start of the rifling at the chamber.

I cleaned it out.

Has this happened to anyone? I have several pistols and quite a few rifles and this has never happened to me. However, I'm new to .22 caliber and naked lead.

I was planning on contacting Ruger to see what they say.

Anyway, thanks. Just to be upfront, I did post this also in the "other forum".

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
Try 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mags.

Some ammo will lead a barrel up. I thought you were describing thunderbolts til I read your post again. Yes I have had similar. Used a bamboo shish-ka-bob stick to peck way at the lead shavings embedded in the rifling. Works fine now and only have had one brand give me issues.

Congrats on your new Ruger. Report back after trying some other ammo.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I'll guarantee you it's an ammo problem, and not the gun. I had the dreaded Thunderbolts lead my 22/45 up the same way once. When/if you're able to find some other ammo, my favorite is Federal bulk pack, which apparently is extinct now, it won't be a problem.

drmike5000

Bearcat
OK, thanks. Before it started, the gun was shooting quite good. I put a Burris Fast Fire on top, and once sited in, I was getting consistent 2 inch groups (almost all inside the 1 inch ring on a glow shot target). I hung a tennis ball and filled it full of holes. Then it went to hell when the key holing started.

I try to find some decent ammo. Cabelas has winchester in stock, but limited to 100 rds.

I think this has come up before. New pistol, crappy ammo, lots of rounds fired=clotted up bore. If the bore is still a little rough, fouling will build up quickly--especially with low grade ammo.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I had a similar problem with an SR22P.

In less than one box of Winchester Gray box it was leaded up so bad that
it looked more like a shot-gun pattern. I spent several hours, a lot of elbow
grease and a fair amount of Hoppe's Number 9 to get it clean.

ZERO problem since.

My . . guess . . is that they used some really cheap ammo to test fire it.
Once it was cleaned out properly, it has been no problem at all. I'll bet
you will have a similar experience. :D

Congrats on the new gun. I can assure you it is the ammo and not the gun. I had some cheap ammo (Thunderbolt) and could not even get it to feed in my 22/45. With CCI and Federal it is a 'tack driver'. Buy some 'good stuff', when and if you can find it, and you will be pleasantly surprised how good the gun is.