Price check on Baby Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a chance to pick up a NM Single Six in 32mag. It is a "Baby Vaquero" blued w/ a CCH frame. I think the barrel is 4 5/8". LNIB w/ only 7rds fired & a slight cylinder ring. What is a fair price? I just figured out that Ruger doesn't make these anymore???
Thanks for any info/help.
Tomcatt

gak

Buckeye
Yes, they've been out of production about as long as the original large frame Vaquero's been gone - or longer. For an (one) idea on prices, check Gunbroker not only asking prices--which tell only half the story (of what some are at least *wishing* for) but also look under completed listings. Look under a number of search cues. .32 Mag, .32 Magnum, .32 H&R, Ruger 32, etc. One caution if it matters, in addition to a birdshead model, the "baby Vaquero" came in two plowhandle type gripgframes, regular (aka "XR3 Red", same size as on the original/large Vaquero, other Single Sixes, and most Blackhawks) and short--made for youth, ladies and others of small hands. The latter was sold along side the regular framed guns and, for awhile, outnumbered the regular model. Ask which this is if you don't already know.
Great gun and cartridge--you'll love it!

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
There is a forum member selling a couple of brand new baby Vaquero .32 mags on the classified adds. His price is $449 shipped. Which is a very good deal. So go from there on price.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
I snagged a used one out of the Classifieds last fall from a RF member. IIRC I paid his asking price of $375. I really like it. In fact was just shooting it last week. Nice gun! 8)

street

Hunter
Here is what the small grip frame guns look like. These are consecutive and are new in the box with all paperwork.

385954548.jpg

385954551.jpg

385954546.jpg

385954553.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
Just remember, before you go paying a bunch of money for one, that Davidson's blew these out at the end of production. Dad bought two from a local dealer in FL for well under $300 apiece. I suspect quite a few speculators picked them up at those prices. I paid $250 for mine in excellent, used condition.

CraigC":2e06s7mn said:
Just remember, before you go paying a bunch of money for one, that Davidson's blew these out at the end of production. Dad bought two from a local dealer in FL for well under $300 apiece. I suspect quite a few speculators picked them up at those prices. I paid $250 for mine in excellent, used condition.

Yep,
Some of us CAS shooters bought 15 of them both plow and Birds Head for $279 in hand.
I still have 4 of them.
Jim

street

Hunter
Wyandot Jim":wan62p3l said:
CraigC":wan62p3l said:

Yep,
Some of us CAS shooters bought 15 of them both plow and Birds Head for $279 in hand.
I still have 4 of them.
Jim

A friend of mine that worked in a gun shop, this was back in, I think, 1964 or 65, remembers that the owner of that shop had his distributor offer him 5 Hawkeyes for $50 some odd dollars apiece, can't remember the exact figure, but it was in the $50s range. He said that the distributor was trying to get rid of what he had in stock at a reduced price. The shop owner turned him down, saying what do I want with them, I can't sell them, they are no good to me!!!!! I'm not saying that this 32 Mag will ever be worth any thing over the price of a normal used gun, but just because a distributor sell a gun for a reduced price, it doesn't mean that it will always stay at a low price. The Hawkeye is one example of this.