price check on a security six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sandman228

Single-Sixer
I had some time on my hands yesterday on the way to work and stopped by a local gun shop I deal with .I was in the revolver section looking around and a used security six caught my eye . I asked him if I could look at it its a 6 inch barrel stainless, lock up was tight all and all looked decent. it had a large wooden grip on it and there were a finger notched pachmyrs with it .I didn't get a chance to look at the bore though he was asking 395 for it .I don't really need it ive already got 3 but one can never own too many 357 magnums .ive also got another offer on my hands a guys wants to trade me a 6 inch blued gp100 and a partial box of ammo straight up for my sr9c. im obviously not gonna do both of these deals or possibly neither im not sure . I don't shoot the sr9c much anymore since I fell in love with the p95 I bought from my son .but im not 100 %positive I wanna part with my sr9c either

pyth0n

Buckeye
I personally would buy the Sec. Six. The price sounds fair. GP100s are still being offered, the six isn't. Maybe the GP100 will wait a little longer. Just my $.02. Good luck.

contender

Ruger Guru
Keep the SR9c, buy the Security-Six, you will have both. Money can be made, replacing a gun after selling can be harder. Seller remorse is no fun. The GP is still a current model, and as noted, can be had a bit easier.

wesm

Bearcat
I would trade the SR9c for a 6" blued GP in a heartbeat, every day of the week and twice on Sunday. But that's just me. While they are still making GPs, they are also making 9cs, and steel frames >> plastic to me. Around here the 9c is a $400 gun, the GPs are $500 guns.

I would also get the Security Six if I was in your shoes. That sounds like a good price to me.

holo07

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
RoninPA said:
$395 is a VERY good price for a 6" SS Security Six, If you buy it and don't like it, it will be very easy to sell.

I'm with Ron 100 %..................it's a no brainer :wink:

I'm with Ron & Dan

Russell

Bearcat
Yup, $395. is a great price for a stainless example. I lucked into a blued version six months ago for $320. It's a minty 6" one with original grips.

Despite the fact that the "six" series guns were made in large numbers, they just don't seem to turn up for sale that much. At least not in my neck of the woods.

h2so4

Bearcat
Whats the going rate for a 4in SS Security Six? If $400 is a good deal for a 6in barrel, I would assume $425-$450 would be a good price for a 4in in good shape? Pretty easy to sell at that price point if I decide to move it along?

SteelManCM

Bearcat
If you're already thinking about laying down the cash, then get the Security 6. Great gun. Also, no harm in making the trade for the GP AS WELL.

But I may be biased. I have 8 .357s.

h2so4 said:
Whats the going rate for a 4in SS Security Six? If $400 is a good deal for a 6in barrel, I would assume $425-$450 would be a good price for a 4in in good shape? Pretty easy to sell at that price point if I decide to move it along?

I agree, the 4" barrels see to go for a little more. Regardless I would go for the 6" Security six. I think I'd have a tough time getting rid of my SR9c.

larry8

Single-Sixer
Personally, I'd trade that SR9 for a Gp any day. The Gp is a better gun and much more in demand. Asking $395 for the SS is a good price and you may be able to bargain down a little bit on it if you brought in a fist full of cash too. Two great deals I wouldn't pass up.

AZshooter

Bearcat
Russell said:
Yup, $395. is a great price for a stainless example. I lucked into a blued version six months ago for $320. It's a minty 6" one with original grips.

Despite the fact that the "six" series guns were made in large numbers, they just don't seem to turn up for sale that much. At least not in my neck of the woods.

Yep, I've got both blued and stainless in 4". When I'm gone, my estate can sell them. I suspect most Security Six owners have similar sentiment about theirs.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
AZshooter said:
Russell said:

Yep, I've got both blued and stainless in 4". When I'm gone, my estate can sell them. I suspect most Security Six owners have similar sentiment about theirs.

I just got a Security Six 4" blued, I didn't know what I was missing. I'll go with option A: Let my estate sell it.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Keep in mind that the price can't really be compared with how much a GP is going for. Its not the fact that the SS is no longer offered, and therefore it must be worth more money. That might be true if you are a collector. Why not ask why the SS isn't being produced.

The SS had some (internal) design issues that were solved in the GP models. Doesn't mean that a SS isn't a good reliable gun. For some, a 6" GP is just too heavy due to the full underlug. Its a subjective thing. Having worked on and with both models, I would choose the GP any day because it represents a leap forward in design.

6" revolvers used to be more common. These days people think tactical, so they buy 4" or have their 6" revolvers converted to 4". No way are you going to pull a heavy 6" barreled revolver unless you are Dirty Harry.

CU

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Carry_Up said:
Keep in mind that the price can't really be compared with how much a GP is going for. Its not the fact that the SS is no longer offered, and therefore it must be worth more money. That might be true if you are a collector. Why not ask why the SS isn't being produced.

The SS had some (internal) design issues that were solved in the GP models. Doesn't mean that a SS isn't a good reliable gun. For some, a 6" GP is just too heavy due to the full underlug. Its a subjective thing. Having worked on and with both models, I would choose the GP any day because it represents a leap forward in design.

6" revolvers used to be more common. These days people think tactical, so they buy 4" or have their 6" revolvers converted to 4". No way are you going to pull a heavy 6" barreled revolver unless you are Dirty Harry.

CU

There was NOTHING wrong with the Security-Six. Bill wasn't making in money on it. So he designed the GP and then discontinued the SS.

Given a choice between a SS and a GP.... I'd take a SS every time. Its a beefier gun than the S&W 19/66.

I have 2 Sixes. Both are the old 150 prefix models with the early grip frame. One a 6", the other a 4". I'll have 'em till the day I die. 8)