Preferred dummy rounds for Wheel Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
I have two in mind, ST Action Pro dummy rounds and A Zoom snap caps. For strictly a wheel gun and not for semi automatic pistols which do rugeforum users prefer?

I am leaning towards A Zoom's snap caps just because they actually have a cushioned primer I believe, which I feel would be beneficial. Also, I wouldn't be able to de-prime or decharge any live rounds as another option.

Just really wanting to know the pros and cons of each (I know they are just dummy rounds, what could go wrong, right?).

If it helps it would be for practicing reload drills with a Ruger SP101 in 357. Price is not too much of a factor just because I plan on buying 12 rounds and I feel they would last quite some time and would be money well spent to become efficient with the firearm.

Thanks in advance.

Bear Claw Chris

Bearcat
I like A-Zoom machined aluminum ones. I tried some of the plastic ones with the spring inside, but the ejector rods on my single action wheelguns, had a tendency to "punch" the insides out after a while leaving a hollow plastic shell in the cylinder.

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
I like the AOZoom snap caps. They are durable and function well, even in my semi autos and lever guns (ie., they extract when you operate the action).

I had a cheaper set of plastic ones with the spring loaded primers, but they didn't work well and weren't very durable.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Well, this Ruger forum member prefers his own. Since I do not dry fire my guns for practice I simply take old cases, size them and seat a bullet. Works good for me.

Joe

Snake45

Hawkeye
I make my own snap caps. Deprime a fired case (even a split or ruined one) and fill the primer pocket with GE Silicone II. It's as good as anything you can buy, and you can make all you want for the cost of a tube of silicone at Walmart.

recumbent

Buckeye
Snake45 said:
I make my own snap caps. Deprime a fired case (even a split or ruined one) and fill the primer pocket with GE Silicone II. It's as good as anything you can buy, and you can make all you want for the cost of a tube of silicone at Walmart.

Thanks for the tip, I'm a do it yourself guy and will make some.

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
The eraser from a mechanical pencil is just the size for the small primer pocket. I makes a pretty good snap cap in empty cases for revolvers.

That being said the A-Zoom is different enough in color not to be confused with live ammo.

mattsbox99

Hunter
None, I don't like snap caps. They are too easy to mix up with real ammunition, especially for unknowledgeable folks.

All Rugers are completely safe to dry fire for practice.

kelbro

Single-Sixer
I use the Zooms for the reason that they CAN'T be mixed up with real ammo. I can see from the side of the cylinder that there are maroon rather than gold cases in there.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
They are too easy to mix up with real ammunition, especially for unknowledgeable folks.

Howdy

That's why A-Zoom colors its snap caps maroon. Pretty difficult to confuse with live ammo unless you are color blind.

When I make up dummy ammo for running through lever guns, I will drill a couple of holes through the side of the case, and sometimes paint a bright red stripe around the case with enamel paint. Pretty tough to confuse them too. That's why the military made special rounds like that for many years.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Nakagawa, I have made my own dummy rounds for years. This is the way I do it. Pull the bullet on a "live" round, dump the powder, fire the primer, (utilizing shell holders and a vice), fill the case with fine "sandblasting" sand and reseat the bullet and crimp. You have a round that approximates the original weight and the case is still unfired and factory sized. Fired "primer" lets you know it is not a "live" round! I do all this without the benefit of reloading dies as I sold all of my reloading equipment many moons ago and got out of the reloading business. I do still have a press (an old Herter's press), which I use with other equipment to "pull" the bullets when my RCBS bullet puller will not do the job. (some tightly crimped bullets). That's it. I can make a half dozen dummies in about 15 minutes. I have around 75 different caliber "dummy rounds".......................Dick :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pinecone, your method (leaving the fired primer in place) does absolutely nothing to protect or cushion the firing pin in dry firing. Your dummies can be useful for speed-reloading practice, but they provide NO more protection against firing pin breakage than dry-firing with a completely empty chamber.

As someone who's broken a number of firing pins from dry-firing on empty chambers (including two on high-quality DA revolvers), I know what I'm talking about here. :wink:

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Snake45, Before you assume anything, you need to know "what" I do with my dummies. Being a gunsmith, I use them mostly for "functional" checks. Feeding, extraction, & ejection. Occasionally I use them to check firing pin drop. I have yet to break a firing pin! Remember, the firing pin travels as far as the indentation in the primer when you fire the cartridge live. The firing pin is going no "farther" than the indentation period. Where you break firing pins is when the "shoulder" of the pin hits the frame of the firing pin tunnel, bushing, etc.........................Dick :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pinecone said:
Remember, the firing pin travels as far as the indentation in the primer when you fire the cartridge live. The firing pin is going no "farther" than the indentation period.
That's correct, BUT when it hits a LIVE primer, the firing pin encounters resistance and comes to a cushioned stop. This does not happen when the primer has already been dented, as there is no resistance.

Where you break firing pins is when the "shoulder" of the pin hits the frame of the firing pin tunnel, bushing, etc.........................Dick :wink:
That is correct, and the firing pin comes to an instant stop and the tip wants to go flying forward like those little balls-on-string office desk toys. That's how they break.

I didn't say your dummies weren't useful for ANYTHING--they'll work just fine for functioning checks, as you mention, and for reloading drills. I just said they do not provide any protection to the firing pin in dry-firing, which they do not. :wink: