Precision 22 WMR Speed Loader?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Slimm38

Bearcat
Why is it there seems no speed loader is available for the Precision Rimfire 22 WMR magazines like the BX-15? Anybody know of any? I want to acquire the Precision 22 WMR but I do not want to purchase any semiauto without magazine speed loader capability.

Slimm38

Bearcat
I am not concerned about speed of shooting, but about the quantity of shooting. I find ease of magazine loading enhances the shooting experience when shooting a lot which I usually do. Speed does come into play somewhat when I am paying for range time... Quicker/easier mag loads means more shots.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Probably because nobody on the planet has a semi-auto Ruger Precision .22wmr rifle. Purely a business decision by the makers of speedloaders. Who would they sell them to besides you?

Now, if you decide to buy the bolt-action RPR, you could just buy a bunch of BX-15 mags and load them up before you head out to the range. :)

Last edited:

Slimm38

Bearcat
True, I should not refer to the bolt action as semiauto. That is my (inaccurate) habit of referring to any magazine fed firearm as semiauto. Nevertheless the BX-15 is a magazine, which is the cogent point here; does not matter how I refer to the firearm.

Are you suggesting the market place for the Precision WMR is insufficient to justify speed loader development?

Buying a boatload of magazines just to facilitate reload? Yeah...Right... That is not going to happen. Either I forego the speed loader or forego the gun. Right now I forego the gun.:rolleyes:

I did see a video where this topic of no speed loader for the Precision WMR was mentioned. A diy suggestion was offered where a Glock 22 WMR pistol speed loader could be slightly modified to work - somewhat. I might consider that if I got some reliable info on that approach.

NikA

Buckeye
I think you'll have just as much issue finding a Glock 22 WMR loader, given that there is no Glock 22 WMR pistol.

I think you may be conflating .22 WMR with .22 LR. .22 LR is chambered in all sorts of weapons, is less expensive and speed loaders often exist for the magazines. .22 WMR is running at least .25c/shot and is seldom chambered in anything but bolt action rifles, for which speed loaders are generally considered unnecessary.

Slimm38

Bearcat
Yeah, You are right - no Glock WMR. I do not remember all the details about the video, but is was about the PRF WMR and explicitly remember it was a Glock pistol speed loader that was referred. I do not own Glock so just assumed it was a WMR loader. Actually I do think I remember the video saying the Glock 22 speed loader could be modified to fit 22 WMR.

There are a few magazine fed non-bolt action rifle and pistol 22 WMRs out there - not including the 'rotary' magazine types. I am in the market for a 22 WMR and have been looking around at all types. Speed loaders are made for some of these. I do own 22LR.

Rossi RS22
Kel-Tec CMR-30
Kel-Tec PMR-30
Rock Island Armory XT
Excel Arms MP-22 Accelerator
Walther WMP
CZ 512
S&W M&P22 Magnum
Magnum Research MagnumLite

Last edited:

Slimm38

Bearcat
Yeah, Confusing. Unfortunately the 22LR BX-15 is different than the 22 WMR BX-15. I checked with Ruger on that.. The 22LR speed loader will not work the 22WMR.

contender

Ruger Guru
First off,,, "Welcome to the Forum!"

Now,, your own comment; "Are you suggesting the market place for the Precision WMR is insufficient to justify speed loader development?" is most likely the main reason none are available.

I go to the annual SHOT Show,, where all kinds of new products are introduced. But one very common theme is a simple business thing. You have to be able to build AND SELL, a lot of anything to recover the expense of design & manufacturing any new product. I haven't seen any magazine loading tools for the Ruger Precision WMR caliber bolt action gun.

I'm not saying one hasn't been made,, but I'd bet good money that very few would sell.

NikA

Buckeye
@Slimm38 most of the models you call out use single stack magazines. Only the KelTec and Walther that I know of use staggered magazines. MR MagnumLite appears to use Ruger magazines.

Pretty rare to find magazine loaders for single stack, relatively low capacity magazines.

Bear Creek sells a .22 mag AR upper as well. No idea how well it works, but there might be a speedloader compatible with that form factor.

Slimm38

Bearcat
Thanks for info gentlemen. The PRF 22WMR is my preferred choice (only, really). I may not do it now, but If I continue lusting for it I may have to dispense with the wimp factor of mag assisted loading and just do it. I can always hope something may come on or is on the market or some reliable diy solution occurs.

Hmmm... Maybe not a boat load full of mags... but maybe a bucket full??☺️

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
There's one other option you may not have thought of, but you'd need to find a cartridge sled to insert into the mag well in place of the magazine. Then just load single shot from a container alongside you if you shoot prone or from a bench. A plastic tv dinner tray works well to just dump a couple boxes of cartridges into. Sleds are available for many centerfire rifles, but don't know about rimfire availability. Could likely modify a magazine tho, by removing the spring, grinding off part of the feed lips and gluing the follower in place.

Ruger sells a 9rnd 22wmr magazine that would probably work for modifying.

Last edited:

Slimm38

Bearcat
Very interesting. I was unfamiliar with that concept. Did some searching. Found a PRF (22LR) sled made by 47PRODUCTS. Do not know if it works for WMR, so have an inquiry out to them. Only one I see.

Thanks for the suggestions. Can be a good alternative for bench work, which I do most of the time. Will still need magazine operation when I do run&gun rifle/pistol exercises.

contender

Ruger Guru
The better option (since mag loading tools aren't available) would be to have several spare magazines to easily swap around. I have several for my M77/17 HMR. Makes for easy fast reloading.

Slimm38

Bearcat
True. Of course efficacy and consideration of money spent to number of mags is relevant. Again my purpose is not necessarily fast mag changes, but ease of mag loading. Eg, I have several mags for my S&W M&P40 - my main arm. Those mags are quite stiff and loading manually six of them in succession is fatiguing. Even with the mag assist it is a bit stiff. Maybe it is just a characteristic of that firearm - do not know.

But then, manually loading my 22LRs is no problem. Maybe a 22WMR mag is not much different. I have just noticed a couple places where reviewers said they would like to have a mag assist for the WMR BX-15.

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't have issues loading any magazines for any firearms I own or have shot. But I have found the Uplua mag loading tool very nice for the ones that take 20-30 rounds.
I can understand your desires. But since the .22 mag Ruger magazines usually only hold 9 rounds,, they aren't hard to load in general.

Slimm38

Bearcat
True the JMX-1 Magnum rotary is nine rounds. I hear the rotary is rather easy to load. However the BX-15 Magnum standard is 15 rounds. I

Latest posts