Power Custom half cock hammer & trigger question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bchannell

Bearcat
I installed a PC half cock hammer and trigger in my 45 Colt Blackhawk, and everything works fine. Had to refit the hand to adjust the timing, and that was about it.
One thing I noticed is the cylinder won't rotate when the hammer is on half cock and the loading gate closed.
Any ideas?
The cylinder latch bolt seems to drop too soon and is back out by the time you reach half cock.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's the New Model action. They are infamous for dropping the cylinder bolt far too soon, hence the line scribed on NM cylinders starting half way between the cylinder notches. But it can be modified by adjusting the length of the actuating plunger mounted in the hammer.

Send me an e-mail at: [email protected] and I'll send you the details with a sketch.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Me?

I've had "binding" issues with the extended plunger. Oh, sure, one can make it work but it can be "time consuming".

I'd rather weld on the cylinder latch's "leg" and make it longer so it holds the cylinder latch "open" for many more degrees of hammer rotation.

JMHO,

flatgate

Hondo44

Hawkeye
+1
I would prefer that as well.

But I've never taken the time to do either one frankly cause I don't use the PC 1/2 cock notch hammer in my guns. I prefer the hand (pawl) modification for a free spin cylinder. For one thing, I don't have to take the gun apart to do it and for the other advantages of the reverse spin.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Jim,

Yes, I certainly respect that approach, however, I get a big kick out of handing my New Models to an experienced OM shooter and watch him "figure out" the lockwork.

I know, I'm evil, wicked, mean and nasty but my NM's don't have any "un-needed" scratches on the barrels............. :D

flatgate

Latest posts