Possum Trapping ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Got a possum that needs to go. Almost had the neighbors call the cops on me the other evening. Was grilling, it was still light out. Hear something rustling in the rose bushes. Next thing I know possum comes running out at me as fast as I have ever seen a possum move mouth open making all kinds of noise. Well my reaction was to pull out the 45 in my pocket. Fortunately I stopped within a fraction of second of pulling the trigger. Living in the city with neighbors that really don't care much for me does not make for a gunfire friendly situation. Mr possum decided to turn around at about the same time I realized I better not shoot him.

So I got the live trap ready to go. Pretty sure he is living under some building materials behind the house. Got a good spot to set the trap that no one can see it. Got some CB caps for the 22. Mr possum will be executed in the garage. Only thing I don't have figured is the bait.

For coons I have used sweet baits to avoid catching the neighborhood cats. Don't know if possums will go for the same. Don't mind catching and releasing cats. But I really don't like cats and want to avoid the temptation of using the same plan for the possum on them :lol:

toysoldier

Hunter
I don't know anything about trapping possums, but I would suggest bananas. An overripe banana puts out a very strong smell that should get a possum's attention.

nekvermont

Blackhawk
I hope you don't catch a skunk while trapping that possum, your plan of shooting your catch in the garage may have to be changed a little. :lol:

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
They eat anything
Banana might be a good idea as it would be less likely to attract non-target catches.

Kanook

Buckeye
This trick should help draw it out into the open,

get a piece of 2x4 aprox. 48" long and (2) flashlights

Tape a flashlight on each end of the 2x4

Run through your yard after dark with the board and flashlights (on) at about waist height making a ""varoom" "varoom" noise

The possum will run right out in front of you.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
If at all possible, I'd leave the trap outside due to the possibility of catching a skunk. Look for a trail along or under shrubbery or at a fence. Coons, possums, and skunks like to follow a trail here and there and it's often visible if you know what to look for. I've never used fruit for bait but it has merit-another reason not to have the trap in the garage-rotting fruit attracts lots of flies and gnats.
I don't waste bullets on possums anymore. I just open the trap and club them as they emerge. Possums take a lot of clubbing BTW. If it hasn't pooped, it's not fully dead.

JFB

Hunter
Kanook said:

Run through your yard after dark with the board and flashlights (on) at about waist height making a ""varoom" "varoom" noise

:wink: :lol:

jgt

Blackhawk
When trapping with a live trap, I use this method. Wire the door in the open position and put a bowl of fresh clean water in the trap where the animal has to cross the trigger to get a drink. Replace the water with fresh water daily. After the third day, unwire and set the trap door. Go collect your animal the next morning. It is especially effective to catch squirrels that have taken up residents in your attic. They can store food but not water. I found this out when I had one in my attic.

Mega Twin

Blackhawk
Possums are very easy to trap with a live trap.
About any bait will work,I use a very small amount of dry cat food.
Usually,if you do have cats around,you may catch them,but usually once is all it takes for them to stay away.
I usually take them about 3 or 4 miles away and release them.I caught 10 this spring,and started marking their tales with paint to make sure I wasn't catching the same ones.

contender

Ruger Guru
Boy,,, I love these threads.
Since my business is dealing with animals, it always makes me chuckle at the stuff y'all write.

Ok, first, possums are NOT known as rabies vectors. (Yes, I have had a FEW reports over the years, but in NC,,,, the state allows the relocation of possums & not any other potential rabies vectors.)
Next, any trapping of wildlife,,, even on your own property is trapping out of season. You MAY need a permit, (usually free) to remove an animal in or around your home causing problems. Check with your game commission FIRST!
Discharging a firearm inside city limits is usually illegal.
Now, I usually use a sweet bait to catch coons, skunks, & possums. As noted above, they do eat about anything. Again as noted, using a sweet bait will deter any cats as a general rule. Bananas are a good bait, but coons LOVE them. Again, as noted set the trap outside to be able to better deal with whatever you catch. Possums are noted for "making a mess" inside a cage & as such, it will be on the floor. No fun to clean.

PM me if you need more info.

EDIT: Do NOT use a body trap as it is not target specific. Dog food will attract cats and dogs. Do you want to local news media plastering your story all over the 6 o'clock news?

vito

Hunter
I was using live traps to rid my yard of some aggressive squirrels some years ago. I used peanut butter as bait. Occasionally I would catch chipmunks, and on two occasions possums. The squirrels would be taken about 10 miles away and released, the chipmunks I would release on the spot. The possums I took just a mile or two away and they never returned to the best of my knowledge. Peanut butter worked well because it would not fall off the trigger plate in the trap, even if the trap itself were knocked about by the animal.

phonejack

Single-Sixer
I've used dry dog food. I live in the city also. I dispose them by dropping cage and all in a barrel of water . Being a good Baptist I believe in full immersion. Then I drop them into a heavy duty garbage bag and into the can for pickup. Coons I take away and release. Possums are nasty stinky critters.

cas6969

Buckeye
My father borrowed one of my traps a couple weeks ago, he's trying to relocate a feral cat. He baited it with the only thing he had on hand at the moment, an old grilled cheese sandwhich. :lol: Apparently it makes bad cat bait. But he caught a possum and called me because he couldn't get rid of it. He couldn't get him out of the trap. The more he tried, the harder he resisted. The more he tried to shake him out, the harder he held on. So he left him be. And he still didn't leave. It was a good 20 hours later and well past dark before he decided it was time to move on.

So if you're planning on relocating it vs killing it, be prepared for the possibility of a squatter. :D

Specs

Single-Sixer
Peanuts from a farm type store like Rural King bought in bulk work well for squirrels and possums in a havahart trap. Disposal is something to be decided by yourself. I don't wish to advocate, but I DO believe that cleanliness is next to Godliness so my pests get a good long deep bath.

redhawker

Buckeye
Almost anything works but they do love cat food. There is a great live trap I recommend, it called Tru-catch. The beauty of this trap is that if you get a skunk in it and don't want to deal with it all you have to do is, using a long pole, roll the trap over and the door falls open. Come back later after the skunk leaves and re-set.

https://www.animal-care.com/index.cfm/id/10/category/151/secondary/314/Traps-Baits

6gun

Hunter
I caught a possum by accident once put out my live trap with peanuts in it for squirrels next morning there he was sitting calmly in the cage, I opened it up to let him out and he wouldn't move so I walked away and left him there came back a few minutes later and he was gone.

Mike J

Hunter
Never trapped a possum. I did finish one off my girls dog had tore up pretty bad though. Mercy killing. He took out the whole family over the course of a couple of weeks.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Kanook said:

I don't know if that's true of not but I'd like to see the video. :D

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Just catch him by the tail and shake him down when he tries to pull up. Crack him on the head with something and lights out. Done that many times over the years.