Positive Review: LC9s-Pro

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dlidster

Single-Sixer
How about a really positive review? (This is a duplicate of a post I made on another, less-traveled forum. I hope it's of interest to LC9s and potential-LC9s folks here.)

I've had my LC9s (Pro) since mid-February. It was test-fired 2/2/15. It now has over 1,000 rounds through it. None are factory loads; I shoot only handloads. These are the same I use in IDPA and USPSA matches in my CZs and Berettas -- 124 gr plated round-nose bullet over either 4.9 gr of Unique or 4.1 gr of Bullseye with Federal primers. These loads are slightly softer than most factory loads. At right around 1100 fps (in a CZ 75B) it's a "Power Factor" of about 133 to 136. A PF of 125 is minimum requirement for "Minor" classification is USPSA. At least 120 is required by IDPA. So, while these are not powder puffs, they're not hot, either.

I have used this little pistol in four IDPA matches as a CCP (Compact Carry Pistol) and once as a BUG (Back Up Gun). I've done the rest of the shooting on the range and plinking at home. And I've dry-fired it a gazillion times. I've had no malfunctions.

There have been complaints from others about LC9s extractors. Mine is fine and holds the case tightly again the breech face. It ejects the cases reasonably close together about 12 feet away just past my right shoulder. There also have been complaints about releasing magazines accidentally or way too easily. Mine holds my four USA-made magazines so firmly that I have to press the release with my weak-hand thumb. I can't do it with my strong hand thumb as I can with all my larger semi-autos. This is fine with me. And, some have complained that their feed ramp was like a wash board. Mine came with a mirror finish.

Some have pointed out that the bluing on the top of the faceted breech area of the barrel wears. It does. I addressed the problem by polishing the breech and entire barrel. I like the way it looks and it does away with the problem.

One final opinion . . . My LC9s has a 4½ pound release. That's way too light [for me] to consider carrying this pistol in my pocket or an IWB holster. (I carry it in an OWB holster in IDPA matches.) So, for me, this is a "game gun," not a CCW for defensive purposes. For that I'd much prefer an old-fashioned LC9. As one who has six Berettas and two CZs that are DA/SA and eight S&W revolvers, I don't find the older LC9 trigger objectionable.

Just my take. Here are some photos.

Old RugerFan

Bearcat
Nice review! My daughter is looking for one of those for her upcoming birthday. Now I think I want one, too... After checking out a G43 in the LGS comparing it to an LC9, I'm leaning towards the LC9s Pro. Nothing wrong with the original LC9, but I hate magazine safeties, and I prefer no thumb safeties.

Thanks again!

Tom W

Blackhawk
I like mine so far. I did notice the bluing wear after the first range trip. Mine has shot only cast hand loads, the Lee 120 gr TC and I'm at this time using the Lee dippers, .5cc, and green dot, also with Federal primers. So far so good......And it fits really good in a Sneaky Pete holster.

tantrix

Bearcat
I absolutely love carrying (and shooting) the LC9s Pro. This is the best gun Ruger has come up with in decades IMO, simply because they listened to what their consumers wanted.

Single-Sixer
This IS going to be my new carry gun. I personally like the lighter trigger. Keep your finger off the go button and make sure whatever holster you pick covers the trigger completely and you'll be good to go.

I bought one just because I have a collection of P 95's and 89's that are decock only and I carried a Sig 230 for years and just wanted to try something new and it needed to be like the others with no safety.

I have only put a few rounds through it... functions perfectly and is very accurate, at least within 25ft.... with that said, I can't imagine putting hundreds of rounds through one of these.... just too much work and too hard on my old hands.... maybe I'm just in the wrong group but I don't see this pistol built to do a lot of shooting with.

flaman

Bearcat
I just bought an LC9S Pro about a month ago and haven't shot it yet. I sent it back to Ruger to have some "rolling changes" addressed. I was kind of surprised when Ruger told me they have updated the recoil spring assembly, mag catch, and mag catch springs already.

I can't wait to shoot this! IMHO the ergos are better than any similar sized single stack 9. I pray this thing is reliable because I want to love it. It absolutely disappears in a Foxx Hybrid holster

Al James

Hunter
Congrats on the new gun! Looks like a sweet setup!

I have wrote Ruger several times requesting a SS LC9s-pro. Between that fantasy gun and the SR45c dream I've had for years....I'm feeling like THAT customer. You know...the one that always wants what is not made. :wink:

Please Ruger!?

I agree a stainless version would be my preference... and if they come out with one I'd buy it in a heart beat... but I bet they won't.... would probably weigh in at twice what the blued / aluminum version weighs.....

I carry the blue one every day.... we'll see how the finish hold up to salt water and leather.... I sweat a lot....

I carry this critter in an Inside the Waste Band leather holster that Ruger sells (Triple K / 314/26)... ordered it with two spare mags.... I do say shame on Ruger for selling this pistol with only one mag... but then it is sold as a back up gun for 'Pros'... what ever that means.

So far I'm not overly worried about the very light trigger.... the holster I have completely covers the trigger area.... but I often do remove the pistol before putting the holster on or taking it off.... I hate to admit it, but this pistol has passed the 'drop test' twice already.