POLL. 480 or 327 Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Would you buy a 480 Blackhawk or a 327 Blackhawk?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mattsbox99

Hunter
s4s4u":ocvnc2xw said:
I would not want a 5 shot 480, if that was the only way to get it, I might, but I'd much prefer the 6 shot version.

Mind if I ask why?

Its just not right... why 5 shots when 6 fit in the cylinder. I don't buy that its stronger, because they already make it in 6 shots. Sure there is more metal, but its plenty strong enough with 6 holes, and you would have no logical reason to push the 480 as it is plenty powerful enough as it is to take any NA game. 6 shots at least for me!

gak

Buckeye
Lots of good points here. I voted .327, but would prefer a mid-frame FT or New Vaquero 7 shot (convertible!) or Single Six. But, with this BH at the least-- as one poster said--blued with the requisite alumiparts, and even then probably 4-5/8...though I'm usually a 5.5'er. Still, I'm a BH fan and an 8 shot sounds neat, and 327 it is if that's the choice. I love my .32s and the '27 is just more of a good thing in that family. On the other end of the spectrum, my pair of .44 Magnums is big enough for anything I need to do in the lower 48. But, speaking of choices, I'm never one to pooh pooh someone else having theirs, ...so I hope the big boys get theirs :)

2 dogs

Buckeye
Here is something for you 327 fans! A Ruger Single Six custom by Alan Harton pictured on the bottom. It will do alot of what a 357 will do WITHOUT the recoil! A 118 GC at 1550 fps is nothing to sneeze at. It is available in a much more compact and lighter package than a 357 and will chamber any 32 caliber round! I love the 357 but will be the first to tell you a 327 is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Some Harton customs pictured. Note the size difference!
027-1.jpg

2 dogs

Buckeye
I would also point out that Ruger does NOT manufacture ammunition! They make guns. Why on earth would they discontinue the 480 Ruger revolvers? Makes NO sense to me. I dont have one, but only because I already have a 475 linebaugh. And I would never say I wouldnt want to try one! One of my pals, Dick Thompson, aka The Meathammer, is having a custom Harton Ruger Bisley 5 shot being built. If Dick, who pretty much hunts anything with hair thinks the 480 has enough merit to build a custom around it who are WE to doubt that cartridge?

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Had there been a "None of the Above" choice, that's what I would have selected.

OTOH: I, along with most of my Pards, would have stood in line to hand over my money for a 327 if it were based on the Single Six frame rather than the larger Blackhawk. If I want to pack a Blackhawk sized frame, I want it in a big bore caliber.

The facts are that dinosaurs like me have long ago learned the value of easy packing revolvers when you need have other work to do but still might need an effective sidearm with a bit more horsepower than a 22 rimfire.

There's definitly a place for the 327, just as there's a place where the 480 would be the wisest choice... but IMO they really screwed up on their choice of package.

... but whatta I know :roll:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
B.Roberts":azgo8gkb said:
Badly want a .480 in a five shot blackhawk, preferably with a bisley or long super gripframe. Full power .475 loads would be too much for me, a factory .480 would be just about right.
Yep, a 5 shot SUPER BH would've floated my boat just fine, I would've bought one! An 8 shot .32 cal is the last thing I want... :cry: JMO, Dennis (Guess we should be glad it's not some kinda "polymer tactical eightshooter" :roll: Wish 'ol Bill were still around :cry: )

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
It probably goes without saying I'd take the 480 hands down. Stainless 5-shot Bisley with a 5.5"-6" barrel would be just about as handy as a sidearm can be with enough power to handle any necessary task, loaded light or loaded heavy if needed.

Components don't seem to be a problem for those with the 475s so no reason to find fault there. And with 5 .475" holes in the cylinder and another .475" hole the length of the barrel, it should be reasonably light and a joy to carry around.

I know they can be made by one of our great custom smiths out there, but would love to have a factory option even at a slightly higher price point. Just seems the 480 was given only a half-hearted effort by the very company that created it.

CraigC

Hawkeye
mattsbox99":3inffucw said:
Its just not right... why 5 shots when 6 fit in the cylinder. I don't buy that its stronger, because they already make it in 6 shots. Sure there is more metal, but its plenty strong enough with 6 holes, and you would have no logical reason to push the 480 as it is plenty powerful enough as it is to take any NA game. 6 shots at least for me!
Sounds like you might have your wires crossed. Six .480's might fit fine in a Super Redhawk with its Carpenter Custom 465 stainless cylinder that is larger in diameter but if it's going into anything even remotely resembling the existing large frame Blackhawk, it HAS to be a five shot. No if's, and's or but's.

Bozack

Single-Sixer
I chose the 480 because I love to shoot my SRH in the same. But I am still interested in getting a .327.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I have no real desire for either. I don't see any value in a 480 over my 44 or 45 Colt. I sort of think of those type of cartridges as novelty cartridges: fun to shoot someone elses, but not worth owning. I wouldn't mind a 327 mag, but not in the configuration offered. If it was more on the order of a single six size, I'd go for it. I really think all the flutes in that 8 shot look goofy. So my current vote is for neither.

tek4260

Buckeye
101_1604.jpg

101_1603.jpg

101_1601.jpg

I guess I found my 5 shot 480. As a bonus, it shoots 475 Linebaugh as well. :D

In all honesty, I'd rather have bought a Ruger :? Maybe I'll warm up to it more when I replace the Goodyears with some walnut and cut it back to ~4 5/8".

Would this be considered a protest purchase?

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I chose 480 but really I wouldn't buy that either...

I want a 454 Casull Super Blackhawk Hunter however in a VERY BAD WAY! Make it a 5-shot and I will still love!

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
tek4260":1xxgpcit said:
I guess I found my 5 shot 480. As a bonus, it shoots 475 Linebaugh as well. :D

In all honesty, I'd rather have bought a Ruger :? Maybe I'll warm up to it more when I replace the Goodyears with some walnut and cut it back to ~4 5/8".

Would this be considered a protest purchase?

Well, it is almost a ruger. I have yet to see one of those at any local gunstores. How much do they go for? Very nice gun by the way, and it will be a super good looker once the goodyears get replace with some pretty wood.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I may end up buying a BFR in 454 soon myself. Kinda sad to have 3dozen Rugers (or more) and still want something I can't get...

I am also seriously considering sending my 45 Colt Bisley Hunter to someone and have them convert it to a 5-shot 454 and then I will have what I really want.

tek4260

Buckeye
Street price at my dealer is about $900. I also have never seen a BFR for sale that wasn't one of the long cylinder ones, and I never have even picked one of them up. I took a chance on this one and ordered it. It should make a good summer project. And of course, I have to buy everything for the caliber

Latest posts