Plinking rifles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
That little rifle must have many rounds down the barrel.
Sharpblade7777, I couldn't begin to guess how many rounds were shot from that sweet rifle. I CAN remember the joy that going to buy it with my father brought me, and many of the memories since then. Back then, my father could rest easy knowing that his kid could set off with his rifle and a pocketful of .22's; and come home very happy, without a single problem (simply because that kid respected, and followed the advice given by his father...).

J.

I have that same-or-similar J.C. Higgins rifle. It's well buried in a safe, so I've not seen it in many years. Hasn't been shot in decades.

My Dad bought it used in 1964. Paid $5 for it. I also refinished the stock on mine while I was in high school. Nice and good-shooting gun.

Further, any or all of the suggested rifles above are good plinkers. The only exception, is one person did not equate plinking with precision. Shooting empty shell casings, bits of clay birds, or bottle caps does in-fact demand precision. :)

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
10-22 is for utility work. For plinking it is lever action all day. I have a 39A but it gets heavy real fast.
Browning BL22 is the can shooter.
My 9 year old son and I will collect eggs from the chickens and go place them on the trail through the woods. Then we have an "Easter egg hunt". He shoots a single shot bolt action.

one beautiful gun 👍 I am a fan of single shots .
My grandpa had a Stevens Favorite that he bought new in the late 1920's. It now resides with my 92 year old uncle. Grandpa carved a new stock and forend for it as well as tightened up the action by taking a couple of thousandths off of the face of the breech. I can remember grandpa hitting a rabbit in his garden with it at about 140 feet. He said "that coot was eating my black seeded Simpson lettuce so I took care of it".. Grandpa was a character!

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
10-22 is for utility work. For plinking it is lever action all day. I have a 39A but it gets heavy real fast.
My 9 year old son and I will collect eggs from the chickens and go place them on the trail through the woods. Then we have an "Easter egg hunt". He shoots a single shot bolt action.
Great story 👍nice to hear you are teaching the young man to appreciate guns !

Browning BL22 is an excellent rifle. I picked one up from a guy needing lawyer money. The short lever throw combined with the trigger moving with the lever is a great feature.

mgood

Bearcat
I've never owned a lever-action, but I did shoot one once. I've always been a bolt-action guy with a few semi-autos thrown it.
It think it's really hard to beat a 10/22 as a plinking rifle. But I suppose plinking means shooting just for fun, so whatever you enjoy shooting is the best plinking rifle. I just got a Mark IV yesterday as my first dedicated plinking pistol. I haven't even shot it yet. (But I have shot Mark IIIs and my granddad's Ruger Standard, which I guess would be the Mark I.) Handguns for me have always been defensive weapons. This one is just for fun.

After years of wanting one I finally got a Henry 22. The problem is, I said it was my grandson's (he is 8 months old lol) and I haven't shot it yet. It's killing me. Never had another lever action 22, it's all bolts, semis, revolvers and pistols. They are all fun to shoot. Got a mk IV 22/45 target earlier this year and just picked up a super wrangler which I hope to shoot this weekend. I have a Chinese bolt action that I got sometime in the 90s I think that shoots surprisingly well.

wws

Bearcat
My left handed CZ452 American with a Leupold VX2 3-9X33mm scope.
IMG_0789.jpeg

Last edited:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I don't own a lever action, but I do have several bolts and semiautos. Which one I "prefer" on any given day would depend on what kind of sights I'm in the mood to shoot. Here are my favorites by action type and sights:

Bolt Action, Open Sights: Norinco JW-15
Bolt Action, Peep Sights: Remington 581
Bolt Action, Scope: Winchester 69A

Semiauto, Open Sights: Norinco JW-14
Semiauto, Peep Sights: Ruger 10/22 w/M1 carbine stock/sights or DPMS .22LR AR conversion
Semiauto, Scope: Rhineland Arms R22

Here's that 10/22:

1684253647795.jpeg

This is by far my favorite plinker. It has the Sig Romeo 5 red dot. That red dot is amazing. I think I gave 120 dollars off Amazon for it. I noticed a couple days ago they were on ebay for 72 dollars. It is crystal clear, easy to sight in and you pick the gun up and it comes on. Lay it down and it goes off. I own 2 Aimpoint red dots. One of them I paid over 700 dollars and the other one was over 600 dollars. I enjoy the Romeo more than the Aimpoints. Seems like when you're plinking you just can't miss.
20230516_122236.jpg

Hankus

Blackhawk
A friend and I used to use single shot .22 rifles with a cocking knob to shoot at small 2x2x2 blocks of wood that we would toss in the creek. We were on a private farm lane with a bridge over the creek. The water was fairly swift in the spring so the blocks moved with some speed. We got to where we could hit them and then shoot at the pieces. I don't know if anyone else here has used a thing called a "Spee-D-Loader" for tubular magazine rifles... They work well and simplify the process of loading a tube fed .22. I have used them for a Henry lever action and a Marlin Model 60. They are sold in different lengths to fit the capacity of the tubes. The ones I have hold 8 charges of ammo and I have 2 different lengths. The shorter one for my Henry Small Game Carbine holds 11 .22 Long Rifle cartridges and the longer one holds 15 .22 Long Rifles for my Marlin Model 60.
I had a couple of those speed loaders to go with my old Glenfield Model 60. Unfortunately they disappeared (along with my rifle) while I was overseas on one of my tours in Korea during the late 80s or 90s … 😡

Here are a couple more good .22 plinking rifles. The Browning Buckmark Sporter Rifle and the Henry Evil Roy lever action. I don't have the Evil Roy, mine is a Henry Small Game Carbine with Skinner peep sights. Both of these are fun to shoot. There is nothing more fun than an afternoon in the old gravel pit that I am allowed to shoot at with any of my .22 rifles. I don't use regular targets but instead shoot at various objects that are there. I also always pick up the general area to make it cleaner than when I got there. Nothing worse than a slob that leaves a mess. There was a nice public range not too far from me that has been permanently closed because of morons making a major mess. Some of these brilliant jagoffs would bring old appliances and TV's to shoot at and leave them there. They also thought that road signs were targets. When I saw 2 truck loads of idiots drinking and shooting I knew that it was just a matter of time before they would ruin it for everyone. They were blasting away at the road and range signs as well as shooting across the road and into the air. I packed up my stuff and left without saying a word. Some people always ruin things for everyone....
0329151749.jpg
1017151942.jpg

Here are a couple more good .22 plinking rifles. The Browning Buckmark Sporter Rifle and the Henry Evil Roy lever action. I don't have the Evil Roy, mine is a Henry Small Game Carbine with Skinner peep sights. Both of these are fun to shoot. There is nothing more fun than an afternoon in the old gravel pit that I am allowed to shoot at with any of my .22 rifles. I don't use regular targets but instead shoot at various objects that are there. I also always pick up the general area to make it cleaner than when I got there. Nothing worse than a slob that leaves a mess. There was a nice public range not too far from me that has been permanently closed because of morons making a major mess. Some of these brilliant jagoffs would bring old appliances and TV's to shoot at and leave them there. They also thought that road signs were targets. When I saw 2 truck loads of idiots drinking and shooting I knew that it was just a matter of time before they would ruin it for everyone. They were blasting away at the road and range signs as well as shooting across the road and into the air. I packed up my stuff and left without saying a word. Some people always ruin things for everyone....
View attachment 21374View attachment 21375
I have an Evil Roy in 22mag similar to yours. Very handy little rifle.
20230516_164615.jpg

jyo

Single-Sixer
Love 22s! I currently have three plinkers/field 22 rifles: a 60s era Belgium Browning SA-22, A pre-warning Ruger 10-22 Deluxe Sporter and a Remington Nylon 66---any of the three will do unless there are female shooters with us---then the bottom-ejecting SA-22 stays home...