Pistol versus carbine loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

moranna

Bearcat
Recently started reloading 9mm and 40 S&W for PC9 and PC4 carbines matched up with P89 and P94 pistols.

If loading with the same powder/bullet weight is there anything gained by loading heavier (or lighter) loads for the carbines to take advantage of the longer barrel?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DGW1949

Hunter
You're already gonna get more velocity from a given load out of the carbine, so about the only thing to be gained from tweeking it might be some additional accuracy....which may prove counterproductive when using it in your pistol.

Me personaly, I use the same ammo in both. My thinking there is if I'm going to shoot one load in my side arm and different load in my carbine, why even bother making them both the same caliber?

DGW

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
I'm loading 10.0gr of Blue Dot in the 45acp with a 230gr FMJ.
My 5" barrel averages 860fps, the 7" about 980fps and the 16 1/2" about 1060fps.

moranna

Bearcat
Thanks Hawkeye. Your point about sharing same load between the two weapons is well taken and I agree.

My question is more related to learning about the technical nuances of reloading than a SHTF kind of question.

stevemb

Hunter
Your pistols and carbines, all semi-autos. So for reliability, a narrow range of pressure needs to be maintained. Also the range of suitable powders, by burn rate, for 9mm and the .40, is kinda narrow compared with .357 or .44's. I'd focus on realibillty and accuracy and what the longer carbine barrel gives you is a nice bonus at that.

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm not sure where you're going with your question(s)....but...you can bet that Ruger designed both your pistol and your carbine to work with ammo made to industry standards, which when you get down to it, means "the same ammo". That said though, you may find that one will feed a certain bullet that the other won't, that one is quite-accurate with a load that the other doesn't care for, or even that one works fine with ammo that the other won't function with, etc, etc.

Trying to apply the above to a reloading scenerio, about all I can suggest is to start by setting a goal as to what you want to accomplish, study a couple of reputable manuals, ask around a bit, and go from there.
I can't help with the .40 S&W because I've never fooled with one. As for the 9MM though, I can tell you for sure that there aint no black magic involved there, just pick some loads which reflect your goals and follow the manual. The experience you gain will take you the rest of the way.

Hope that helped.

DGW

Jim Puke

Hunter
The one load for both suggestion is the one that I would concentrate on. Take advantage of the increase in performance that the carbine offers with the common load...and enjoy.