Pics of some new to me Rugers, and finished projects!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stantheman86

Buckeye
P61500011.JPG

These are my "matched pair" of DAO .357 GP100's. I added DAO hammers to both of these guns. The 6" is a 2008 production, today I switched out the XS Big Dot front sight I had on it for a while, for an XS Standard Dot. I put about 80 rounds of 130 gr. standard .38 through it today, I'm really getting used to the Express sights and was doing well out to 25 yards today. The 4" is a 1990 production that I just today dropped in the DAO hammer. This gun has a nice DA action and is just an overall nice shooter. I also ran about 50 rounds through this gun today. Both guns have lighter springs, I'm not sure the maker but the gold colored mainspring and latch springs that I took out of other used GP100's I have bought. I'm happy with both of them and I might add a Meprolight front sight to the 4", not sure yet.

P61500051.JPG

This is a .38 Special Service Six I recently got, a 1982 production. It's a "transitional" gun, it has the scalloped recoil shield but has the early style "shallow" rear sight. It also has a heavy barrel.

P6150004.JPG

I also recently got this 6" Security Six, it looks to have seen some holster time but very few rounds. The sights are set dead nuts for 130 grainers so I left them alone for now. It's an excellent shooter and has a nice action. It's a 1986 production.

P6150003.JPG

This is an early .38 Special Speed Six I won off Gun Broker recently. I haven't fired it yet but it seems tight and I'm a .38 Special DA Six fanatic, so I'm glad to have this one!

P61500021.JPG

I am growing to love these XS sights, they take a little getting used to but after about 50 rounds I was pretty proficient with them. At close range, at "realistic" self defense ranges of 5-10 yards all I did was use the dot to get a quick flash sight picture and I was easily able to score center mass hits.

P6150006.JPG

Some "off brand"=) stuff I won at a local auction, I was there with my Dad and we kind of split these. I guess no one there was interested in DA Colts, I got these for $400 each. They belonged to a local Deputy Sheriff who passed away, the Trooper III was his duty gun and the Detective Special was his off duty piece. We fired the Detective Special today but not the Trooper. I also learned that you really can't "stage" the trigger on the older Non-Mark III Colts, my Dad had a "click" on the Detective Special shooting in DA when he was trying to stage the trigger. The next pull fired the round. I loaded up 6 rounds and pulled straight through and all of them fired without a hitch. Yeah,a click instead of a bang? I'm not about to give up my Rugers for Colts any time soon 8)

hittman

Staff member
Darn fine collection. I'm a particular fan of the Six Series ..... thanks for sharing.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I had a new in the box blue 6" Security Six that I got on a Friday evening at the Tulsa gun show. The next morning I shot a IHMSA Silhouette match with it and took home a class C trophy with it. I took 4 deer with that gun

bronco45

Single-Sixer
That 4" GP with DAO and a Meprolight night sight would be the defensive "cat's meow". GPs are great carry guns for those who are serious about 357s. Great strength, balance and a good trigger for those who are interested in a little tuning.

Nice Collection!!!

stantheman86

Buckeye
Thanks guys :D

Ideally, I had hoped to use the 6" GP as a dedicated HD gun, and the 4" as a CC gun. But, I fell in love with the balance and handling of this 4" half lug with the Large Lett grips and I would never take them off now. The grips are too big for effective concealment unless I wear a big, baggy shirt. I have a habit of modifying Ruger revolvers to be THE concealed carry gun and then never carrying them 8)

DGW1949

Hunter
Those are some realy nice 6-shooters you have there. I particularly like that old .38 Spl Speed Six.....and the stainless Service Six.....and the 6 incher with the traget grips....and the little D-frame Colt.....and....oh never mind, it's easier to just say that you got good taste in guns. :wink: .

DGW

stantheman86

Buckeye
I was going to sell my 6" King Cobra, too, but the 6" Trooper made me want to keep it :D All I need is a "Lawman" to complete a Colt Mark III .357 "set" :)

Latest posts