Pics of my 1911 rust issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Good point. What do you think Ruger did to clean up my 1911? It does not rust after shooting and handling now. Acid bath? I do not know what a passivative process involves.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Ok, I am using a product called Innosoft B570 that is removing all of the rust spots from my gun. I purchased it on Amazon. It doesn't harm or etch the stainless either so you can leave it on for as long as you would like to. Just apply, let it sit for a few minutes, scrub it with a cloth or sponge, and the rust is removed. Pretty happy now that I found an easy way to remedy this.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
I have naval jelly, but it specifically says not to use on stainless steel so I did not try it.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Quick update. No rust at all after visiting an outdoor range this summer in heat and use in indoor ranges recently. Case closed.

mohavesam said:
As has been posted here a few times (search is your friend), Ruger failed to treat the SS frames (and other parts) by chemical passivation methods for wayyy too long. They relied on mechanical passivation, i.e., media blasting, which is known to be inferior for most stainless alloys.
In the latter method especially, free ferrites (iron) open to the surface will oxidize and begin to show visible corrosion, which is obviously not quality nor value to the end customers. Actually, a good cleaning and wipe-down with quality oil like G96 or MR7 will all-but remove the spots and will prevent any "rapid" re-rusting of the remaining surface ferrite. But no one intended to pay good money for rust, right?

Ruger knew better and gambled with quality in favor of margin. I understand the RCCA went all the way to the top. I have yet to read that for myself.
Chemical passivation is normal & customary in their manufacturing world and cheap to process, except that it takes a few minutes to run material in batches. They simply chose to skip it.
Standard answer again - Send 'em back for correction on their dime. Everyone of them.

I just did this with a new Ruger MKIV. The Bolt was rusted and Bolt face pitted.