Picked up new SR1911 today; a question to ask

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RailwayMan

Bearcat
Before I take my new SR1911 out to the range tomorrow, what on it should I oil? Frame rails? Bushing/barrel fit? Suggestions please.
Going to run it in with a box of CCI Blazer. Can't find brass in the weeds at the friend's range ... :)

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
RM,

Disassemble clean, and reassemble. I run with grease or heavy oil on the rails, grease or heavy oil where the slide and barrel make contact on top, lock pistol open and grease around barrel at the bushing. Manually cycle the the pistol and wipe of the excess oil.

Put on a set of safety glasses and enjoy.

RailwayMan

Bearcat
Thank you! The only "disappointment" was when I looked at the very nice carry rug included and saw the "Made In China" tag. Ruger could have had it made in USA, added $10 to the cost of it, and I'd have been very happy with the increase. All said, it's a wonderfully made firearm and my feets 'a moving to get me to the range out at Shotgun Phil's Shootatorium! I'll take the time to break it down as you suggested SS. Thanks!

RailwayMan

Bearcat
Took it out today and it shot better than I do. Very nice groups using Blazer 230gr. Have some Winchester 230gr target loads to try next. Did the Blazer cause I can't chase brass in his weeds.

RailwayMan said:
Thank you! The only "disappointment" was when I looked at the very nice carry rug included and saw the "Made In China" tag. Ruger could have had it made in USA, added $10 to the cost of it, and I'd have been very happy with the increase. All said, it's a wonderfully made firearm and my feets 'a moving to get me to the range out at Shotgun Phil's Shootatorium! I'll take the time to break it down as you suggested SS. Thanks!

Yup that is what I was thinking also. See made in China makes my blood boil. ps

revhigh

Hawkeye
RailwayMan said:
Took it out today and it shot better than I do.

So many people say this ... How could you possibly know that ?

A gun can only shoot as good as you can shoot. The more accurate the gun, the closer it is to shooting exactly as well as you. On the other hand .... An inaccurate gun can easily be outshot by a shooter, simply by comparing previously known group sizes of that shooter to the group sizes achievable with the gun in question.

REV

baronvoncatania

Bearcat
revhigh said:
RailwayMan said:

A gun can only shoot as good as you can shoot. The more accurate the gun, the closer it is to shooting exactly as well as you. On the other hand .... An inaccurate gun can easily be outshot by a shooter, simply by comparing previously known group sizes of that shooter to the group sizes achievable with the gun in question.

REV

Ya know it's just an expression. Meaning, it shoots really good. :?

Don Lovel

Hunter
sliclee said:
Anybody use the 185 grain jhp

I included CorBon 185gr JHP & some Georgia Ammo acquired 185 JHP when I first broke in my SR1911, they functioned ok, but overall the 230gr Winchester Ranger SXT I was using performed more accurate, so that is my EDC

I would like to try out some more of the 185 Cor Bon but expense is kinda stupid compared to what I was paying for the Winchester Ranger

baronvoncatania said:
revhigh said:
RailwayMan said:

REV

Ransom rest! :)
gramps