Picked up a shoulder cruncher

Help Support Ruger Forum:

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
Woohoo! Picked up a companion to my stainless 1-B 300 win mag today! Stainless 1-H in 458 Lott. Looks every bit as sleek and elegant as the 1-B, but there's sort of an edge to it in knowing just how freakishly powerful it is. The guys at my local shop where I had it transferred to said they had fun with it all day looking up the Lott cartridge, measuring the thickness of the barrel and comparing it with a 12 gauge and other guns, and trying to speculate on the recoil potential.

I know the stainless steel laminate No. 1's are sacrilege to some folks, but I think they're gorgeous. My 300 win mag is a great shooter, and I'm hoping the big'n will shoot well too. I was very seriously considering holding off for the Lipsey's long barrel 1-S 45-70 that came out yesterday, but I decided the 458 Lott offered the most versatility, and I like the heavier barrel for helping slightly reduce recoil. I have a bunch of bullets for this monster including 300gr hardcast, 300gr TTSX, 350gr TSX, 350gr round nose, 400gr JSP, and 3 different 500gr bullets. I probably won't ever load beyond mild 458 win mag for hunting, but I will definitely load up some full house loads just for fun.

Here's a pic of the kids:

2011-08-04_20-18-27_344-1.jpg

Can't wait to shoot it!

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
After becoming acclimated to the recoil of my Marlin 1895GS with 300's @ 2100fps and 400's @ 1800fps, the 300win mag is a puppy dog. It's nothing in comparison and actually very comfortable to shoot. The 458 Lott however is getting a slip on limbsaver. Depending on the recoil, I'll either add a low power scope, maybe a fixed 4x, or if I'm too chicken about getting ringed in the eye, I'll just get a NECG peep.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
SteveRuger said:
I have the No.1 in the older blued 458 & it is not to bad shooting but, It Is Not a Lott they push more. J/S

Me too. You will really notice the recoil climb once you load 500 grain and heavier bullets. I supose the 400s will push pretty hard above 2000 fps though...

If you like cast bullets, the Lott is supposed to have a more favorable throat for them than the 458 win.

captainkirk

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Another SS #1 fan here, laminates are great looking, the Lipseys SS/walnut editions are beautiful. Love your 1H, #1s need open sights!

Belt Fed

Single-Sixer
I have one of those NECG peep sights and I like it a lot. They are very well made.

Latest posts